twelve

chapter song: crash by EDEN and drowning. by EDEN

"I DON'T think us going to this shithole event meant me waiting twenty fucking years for you to choose a dress!" Richie bellowed up the stairs, and he raised his eyebrows as his girlfriend thundered down the stairs, wearing ripped jeans and a black tshirt.

"Right. Because I would wear a dress to this thing." Ash said, and Richie looked her over, saying, "Goddamn. You look hot."

Ash cringed. "Thanks, Tozier."

He laughed, and checked his watch. "Mike said to be there by 7, so we'd better go. It's already pitch black outside."

"Uh, maybe because it's winter."

"Shut up, smartass."

This time, it was Ash who laughed as the two made their way to Mike's in her brand new truck, Richie reaching over and messing up her hair everytime they stopped at a red light and laughed his ass off when one of the times he did it she tried to duck out of his reach and accidentally hit the gas pedal, almost hitting the car in front of them.

As they arrived at his house, there were already a few cars there and Ash could hear music blasting outside the front door.

"Damn." She said, glancing at Richie. "They wasted no time."

He rolled his eyes and opened the door, almost immediately walking into a crowd of people, who it looked like were already getting drunk.

"Well, let's steer clear of these- hey, I'm trying to fucking walk dipshit, and if you have a problem I will pour beer on your face!" Ash shouted at one guy, who jumped out of the way as she dragged Richie towards the living room, where things were more low-key.

"Jesus Christ, Ash." Richie said as they entered the room. "Think you could be a little more insane?"

She blew out a breath of air. "Sorry. I'm just a little on edge."

His forehead creased. "Why?"

She bit her lip, looking as though she was was going to say something before she shrugged. "I don't know. I guess it's nothing."

He looked at her for a couple more seconds, before hearing someone say, "Great, the Duo is here!"

It was Dustin, moving towards them and dodging people at the exact same time.

"Uh, hey." Richie said as he came to a stop in front of them.

Ash smirked. "Nice hair."

Dustin shot her a glare. "Hey, don't make fun of this hairstyle! Steve taught it to me in 8th grade."

Her eyebrows drew together as she looked at Richie. "Who's Steve?"

"Only the best babysitter of all time." Richie answered, and Dustin nodded in agreement. "He's awesome."

"Why didn't he come with you guys?" Ash asked curiously, and Dustin shrugged. "Eh, he said he wanted to chill and be a third wheel with Mike's sister and her boyfriend. Weirdo."

"Speaking of Mike, where the hell is he? Isn't he hosting this thing?" Richie asked, and didn't notice when Ash looked away, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Uh, you know what? Good quest-"

Before Dustin could finish, someone had clapped a hand on Richie's shoulder, who turned.

"Heard my name, cous!" Mike said, and Richie shrugged his hand off, shaking his head as he took a good look around the room.

"This party is about to be insane, Wheeler. The people in the senior class are literal hell. Sure you can handle it?"