Prologue

"I think you have Dissociative Identity Disorder," said the doctor.

"What is dis- dis-" A twelve year old Barry tried to repeat the word.

"Dissociative Identity Disorder," repeated the doctor. "It's also know as multiple personality disorder. It is where you would have two or more distinct identities."

"What does that mean?" asked Joe, his hand on Barry's shoulder. "He is two people?"

"It's more like his personality is split into two," said the doctor. "One personality may be really childish, while the other is really serious. DID is more common in people who have experienced emotional trauma."

"Is that why i can't remember fighting with Iris?" piped up Barry. "Or actually getting here?" He looked around the small room. He and Joe sat on a leather sofa with the doctor opposite, in a comfortable armchair.

"Yes," said the doctor. "Now. A lot of people with DID attempt suicide," said the doctor tentatively. "So I'm going to prescribe you some anti-depressants that I want you to take at least once a week, or if you really need them." She handed Joe a small slip of paper. "And you may want to inform Barry's father. Usually the other identity chooses a name for themselves. Have you seen any evidence of that?"

"Sebastian," said Barry, quietly. "I wrote that at the top of my last maths homework." He gulped. "Mom said that she liked that name."

Joe squeezed Barry's shoulder and they stood up. "Thank you doctor. We will come see you again if we have any trouble."

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

"Be careful, Barry," said Iris, hugging her brother tightly. "Don't get into any trouble."

"I won't," a fourteen year old Barry smiled. "But I can't say the same for Sebastian."

"Remember to take your medication every week," said Joe, pulling his son into a hug too.

"I will," said Barry. "I better get going. If I miss the plane, I'll have to call Aunt Amelia. Then she'll have to wait for hours for the next plane to Ohio. Then-"

"Barry," Iris laughed. "You're rambling. Get going."

"Right," said Barry flustered. "Joe, you told Aunt Amelia about my DID, right?"

"Yes, she knows about Sebastian," said Joe. "Now get going."

"Ok." Barry picked up his bag and walked towards the gate to his plane.

"Bye, Barry!" Iris cried, smiling sadly. "I'll see in the summer!"

Barry waved sadly and left.

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

Barry clambered our of the plane and looked around for his Aunt Amelia.

"Barry!"

He looked over and saw her. Her dark red hair was braided over her shoulder, her green eyes bright. She wore a black, pencil skirt, a white blouse with a dark red blazer and shoes.

"Aunt Amelia!" Barry grinned and hugged her tightly. "How are you and Lucy?"

"We're are very good," said Amelia lightly. "Lucy is waiting at home with her father. She can't wait to see you."

Barry climbed into the car with her. "I'm looking forward to seeing her too."

They drove in silence for a few minutes before Amelia began talking nervously.

"Barry," she said. "John and I have been talking and we were thinking that it might be a good idea if you were to change your name."

"What do you mean?" asked Barry, a crease between his eyebrows.

"Well. A lot of people heard about my sister's death," she said. "Even people here in Ohio. And there are bullies here too. So John and I thought that you should take the name Smythe. Then you would be less likely to be bullied here too. Would that be ok?"

"Um," Barry was slightly reluctant to do this. His name was all he had left that connected him to his parents.

"It would only be while you're here in Ohio," said Amelia quickly. "I just don't want you to be hurt."

"Ok," said Barry hesitantly. "How will we do it?"

"John printed all of the necessary paperwork for if you said yes," said Amelia, a slight smile on her face. "So when we get home, all you have to do is sign them. Then when you go back to Central City, John can print them again and you can change it back to Allen."

The rest of the ride was spent in silence, as Barry drifted to the back of his mind and Sebastian cane forward.

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

"Hi," said the boy. "I'm Trent. What's your name?"

"Sebastian," he said. "Sebastian Smythe."

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

"Barry!" Iris cried, running forward. "How was Ohio?"

"Good," said Barry quietly. "At least. What I can remember was good."

"Sebastian came out?" asked Iris, slightly worried.

"He was in control for most of my stay," said Barry, soberly. "I don't even know if I made any friends, over there."

"Well," said Iris reassuringly. "If anyone contacts you we can find out."

"Yeah."

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

"Barry!"

Barry lay in the hospital bed, connected to the machines surrounding him.

"Barry!" Iris cried. "No!"

"Excuse me, Miss," said a nurse. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave for now."

"Do you know when he will wake up?" Iris sobbed.

"I don't Miss I'm sorry. He was struck by lightning. Not a lot of people have ever survived being struck by lightning before."

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

Sebastian jolted awake. Poker face was playing and he could hear a woman and a man speaking.

"Whoa, he's awake," said the man.

"Who're you?" said Sebastian, looking around. "Where am I?"

Barry jumped to the front of his mind, pushing Sebastian aside.

"My name's Cisco," said the man. "Your in Star Labs."

🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️🎶⚡️

"Barry," called Iris, coming into the cortex. "There's a letter for Sebastian."

"Who's Sebastian?" asked Cisco.

"I am," said Barry, taking the letter as he kissed Iris' cheek quickly. "I have DID. Sebastian is my other personality. When I was in high school, Sebastian had complete control for most of my time there. I can't even remember if I had any friends. But Sebastian has not come out since the lightning."

Barry scanned the letter.

"Dalton burned down," he said flatly.

"Dalton Academy?" asked Caitlin. "You went to high school in Ohio?"

"Yep. I stayed with my Aunt and Uncle. The funny thing is I can't remember being in Dalton, so..."