Payal sobered herself and went on, somehow excitedly. "And I'm sure the remaining pain will also vanish once I get out of this hospital! How fun will it be, staying with Buaji, Amma and Babuji again.. Oh how much I missed them.." Her voice faded as her eyes teared up again but the smile on her face was consistent - widening as she thought about her plan again. 

Khushi, on the other hand, was confused. "Huh?" 

Payal looked at her, not understanding her befuddled face. 

"You're going to stay at Buaji's place?" 

Payal's smile reflected her confusion over the incredulous tone of Khushi's question. 

"Ye-yes. Of course I am." She said, then gave out a small chuckle before she lowered her eyes to her wringing hands. "When I returned, I had no one, I was helpless, but now I've got my family back. I, I've got my home back, so yeah, I'll stay where I belong. I've already spoken to Amma and Buaji, you know. They were so happy to hear that."

There was a cracking in her voice as she ended and Khushi knew it was of happiness of being accepted again. But alongside, Payal's quivering hands, her lack of eye contact and stuttering tongue told her that her decision was not that pleasing - not even to herself. 

So Khushi chose to probe, regardless of what Arnav told her the very previous night. 

"Then what about Akashji? Does he even know you're going? Does he, does he know you're ending things like that?" 

Payal sighed and when she looked up, her nervousness had solidified into a sort of firmness. 

"Things ended between us way before, Khushi. It was over the day he abandoned me to the cruelty of his mother and sister - I was just naive and stupid to try and hold on to him and just see where I ended." Her lips twitched, showcasing the extent to which she was resentful. 

"But now, everything is falling back into places. A week ago when I came back I had no identity. I was no one - I had lost everything. That's why I couldn't object when Akash brought me back to RM, I knew nothing, I, I was blank but now I have a hold over my life again and I wish to lead it the way I want. And that is, free from an empty shell marriage."

"And what if I tell you that's not fair?"

Khushi breathed out as soon as Payal was done. The latter looked up, determined not to budge from her decision. Khushi went, incredulity still lingering in her eyes and reflecting on her face. 

"He has been trying since three years Jiji. Three long and painful years just so he could reach you. I, I, I know what he did was wrong but after all he did to try and redeem himself, don't you think he at least deserves to have a say in this? It's his marriage too - the marriage he has been trying to save with all his heart. Even now he's just outside your room, knowing you won't talk to him but yet needing to stay close to you. You can't just break this relationship like that, without saying a word to him. That's, that's just not fair to him!" 

"And was what he did fair?" Payal's eyes suddenly flared, livid at what Khushi was saying - was implying. 

"He separated us, Khushi. He turned me into someone I could no longer recognize. He, he made me hate myself! Do you think that was okay?" 

Khushi's eyes softened as she saw the tinge of accusation in Payal's eyes. 

"I don't." She soothed. "I'm, I'm not saying that you're wrong for not wanting to live with him but even if you don't want to stay with him anymore, then at least just tell him. He has been waiting for an answer for so long. Just give him that answer - don't just leave him hanging like that. Just, just talk to him, even if its for two seconds, even if its just to say goodbye - at least just answer him."

Payal looked away when Khushi's tone turned expectant, hoping for her to understand. Khushi's shoulder's hunched at that and before she could stop it, she felt the thoughts that were running in her mind take the form of words. 

"Or is it that you won't be able to leave if you speak to him first?" 

Payal didn't budge and neither was there any change in her facial expressions to indicate what she was feeling. That was a signal for Khushi to stop. She tried, but at the end of the day Arnav was right. It is her relationship and only she can decide what to do with it. 

"Fine." Khushi sighed. "Do what you think is right but just be happy. I'll, I'll just see where Arnavji." She mumbled with a small smile and upon a nod from Payal, stood up. However, as soon as she reached the foot of the bed, she froze. A sudden, and strong flash of heat swept across her body, after which she felt a sudden pressure in her lower abdomen. 

She yelped, grabbing onto the bed with one hand and onto her belly with the other. 

"Khushi?" Payal reacted immerdiately and tried to reach her but she fell back on the bed, wincing in pain as she felt a pressure in her ribs. Masking her own discomfort, she still tried to hold Khushi. 

"Wha, what happened?" She asked, visibly worried as Khushi plopped on the bed. 

Khushi closed her eyes and concentrated on her breaths. Perspiration formed on her forehead and dripped down her face - sweat drenching her back and chest too but she ignored it all and just tried to ease her breathing. 

"Nothing, its, its probably just a -ahh!" She yelped again, jumping slightly from the bed as another wave of pain swept across her lower abdomen. Her breathing labored and her skin turned red. Her eyes teared as the pain intensified and she clutched Payal's feet with a suppressed scream in her throat, managing to utter, 

"Ji-Jiji, call the doc-tor."

_____________________-