Chapter Nine

Payal stared outside the giant window just next to her hospital bed. She was sitting upright on the bed with her hands around her aching stomach and eyes on the many vehicles that were coming into and leaving the premise of the hospital. 

At the back of her head she was reminded of the time she was rushed into the hospital. She couldn't remember much - just the screeching siren and jumbled sounds that were trying to reach her along with the excruciating pain in her lower body as if her ribs had been beaten to pieces. 

She winced. Just thinking about the pain made the pain ten times worst. So she decided to take her mind off it, and think about the wonderful things that happened to her instead. 

Her lips curved instantly and she leaned against the headrest, tears springing in her eyes again as she thought of how she got her family back. Never in her wildest dreams did she ever think she would get to experience this happiness again, but she did and now there's nothing more that she wants. 

Well, maybe there's one thing. 

Payal's smile vanished and she closed her eyes instantly to put a stop over the course of her thoughts. 

No, she can't think like that. She can't. It's after three years of sufferance that she got her family back. That's all that she wants and she won't spend her time chasing something else - something that she once chased, loved and needed and that ended up being the reason for her very destruction. She won't take the risk again, she can't. 

"Jiji?" A singsong voice, laced with concern flooded in her ears and halted her litany. She opened her eyes - her face brightening up despite her predicament at the sight of Khushi. 

Khushi kept her bag at the table and reached for Payal at once, cupping her face. 

"What happened? Is it paining a lot?" 

Payal held her hands, blinking slowly. "It's not. Calm down, I'm fine." 

Khushi nodded, relieved. 

"Then why did you seemed to troubled when I came in?"

Tongue-tied, Payal simply gave out a nervous smile whilst Khushi stared at her questioningly. 

"Okay fine, I was experiencing some mild pain but its fine now. Trust me." Knowing that it would be more difficult to explain what she was thinking, Payal chose to lie instead, then instantly tried to change the topic lest Khushi question her again. 

"Anyways, where's Arnavji? Did you come here alone?" She asked, glancing at the door then at Khushi. 

Khushi smiled mildly. "Do you think he would let me go anywhere alone?" She chuckled, shaking her head at her husband. "He's still in the parking. Amanji called and he's probably trying to sort his business matters over the phone so he doesn't have to leave me alone at this stage." 

Payal laughed as Khushi made a pretended annoyed face. 

"You're lucky, you know? Arnav Singh Raizada, the famous workaholic is searching for ways to not go to office just so he could be with you!" She said, half awed and half amused. 

Khushi nodded, actually feeling proud at having such a life partner. She smiled, settling properly on the chair next to Payal's bed.

"Anyways, enough about me. Let's talk about you. Are you sure it's not hurting? Is it better compared to yesterday?" 

Payal sighed, rolling her eyes as Khushi held on that topic. 

"Yes! I am sure that I'm fine and definitely better! Do I have to write it down and sign it officially for Mrs. Lawyer to believe me and stop questioning me so much?" She asked in feigned drama, laughing along with Khushi who broke into chuckles.