Chapter Sixteen:

Jax's POV:

I drove my bike up to the cabin, to see Piney. All the shit that had been going on the past few months was really weighing down on me. After the incident with Alice a few days ago, I hadn't been able to think straight. With Luann's death, Cara Cara burning down, Clay, the Feds, Zobelle, Alice. Everything was getting way out of hand, and it felt like there was nothing I could do. I couldn't trust anyone, not even Tara. She had become too close to mom, I was afraid to tell her anything. The only people who seemed to be with me, were Alice, Chibs, Piney and Bobby. All I knew was, I needed to tell Piney about the transfer, and I knew he wouldn't be to pleased.

I pulled up the cabin, parked close to the road, a little wary about how this conversation was going to pan out. I hung my helmet from my handlebar, then made my way to the front door. I knocked, and was greeted by a shotgun, and Piney. "Jesus Christ." I said, as I stared down the barrel. "What do you want?" he demanded, dropping the gun to his side, and stepping back in so I could come inside. "No ones heard from you in weeks." I replied, as I shut the door behind me. "So?" "So, I'm making sure you're not dead." "Well, am I?" "You smell like shit, when was the last time you took a shower?" "Did you really come all the way up here to give me hygiene tips?" he barked, before he downed a shot of whiskey. "I got news, I wanted you to hear it from me." he just stood there, staring at me. So, I just came out with it. "I think it's best if I go Nomad." he let out a sigh, as if he had expected it. "I gave you John's book, so you'd make things right, and you gave me your word." he reminded me. "I'm trying, Piney!" he grunted at me, then turned to look out the window. "Did you even read it?" I questioned, trying not to be angry. " A long time ago." "Yeah, well it's not exactly a 'How to' manual. It's half angry manifesto, half MC love letter." we stood there silently once again, giving me a moment to get a grip. "I'm trying to read between the lines here, to see the path." "Your father knew this was coming, the Feds, the Irish, guys like Zobelle. He knew, we were going to die bloody." "We're not going to die bloody." "Hmm. We will, if you give up." "If I don't get away from Clay now, one of us is going to end up dead." I stated.

Piney took a step towards me and said, "And we both know who that should be, don't we?" he let out a chuckle, and I shook my head and smiled. "But, if you're not around when Clay's hands freeze up, who becomes leader? I mean, Tig or Bobby? You wanna trust your father's legacy, to those two clowns?" "This is just a detour, on a very long road." "I don't have a long road." he snapped. "You think about this move, son. Cause it's just a reaction, it's NOT a solution." Just then, I heard a bike pull up, and looked out to see Op. I made my way outside towards my bike. "I guess you told him." he more stated than asked. "Yeah." I answered shortly. "I can't wrap my head around it either, brother." "You called me on it months ago, man. When it comes to Clay, I'm not sure anything I do is for the good of the club." I said flat out, a little irritated he was even there. "He's your father, Jax." "My father died on 580, 16 years ago." I pointed out, right before I walked away, and got on my bike. I quickly started it up, and sped off towards the hospital, more confused than before I had even come.

Later at the hospital...

Alice's POV:

"I just need you to sign this, and your dad will be all set." Tara said as she handed me his paperwork. I signed a few lines, and handed it back to her. "Thanks, Doc." with that, I walked away. Gemma, Bobby, Happy, Jax and Half-Sack were all waiting. I brought da out in a wheel chair, despite his protest. Everyone greeted him happily. The boys ushered him out, while I stayed behind with Gemma. "So, any luck with Jax on what's going on with him and Clay?" she asked me, her arms over her chest. Shaking my head no, I sighed. "No, Gemma. He won't talk to me about anything relating to Clay." "Have you actually talked to him about it?" "Of course I have, Gemma. You know him, he won't talk until he's ready to tell someone." she sighed. "I know, I'm sorry Alice. I just...I just don't know what to do." before I turned to walk away, I responded, "You do, Gemma. You just don't want to."