Chapter One: Nathanael

Start from the beginning

Notice of Reassignment

Archangel: Nathanael

Assignment: Guardian to Human

Report immediately to Coordinates: 42.3064' N, 78.0164' W

"I... I don't understand." An Archangel sent to guard a Sec? It's ludicrous and unheard of!

"Report immediately." The Lord's voice calls his entire body into action; spine straightening in response.

"Yes, Lord." He lowers his head, suddenly losing his excitement. Without another command, he turns and leaves the Throne Room. With every receding step, his shoulders slump a little more. Raziel is still outside the temple entrance. The scroll in Nathanael's hand incinerates, sending ashes onto the ivory floors of the coliseum as he approaches his rival.

"Bad news?"

Nathanael attempts to straighten his posture. "I'm to report to Earth."

"To Earth?" Raziel scoffs, "For what?"

What does he have to lose? Word of his reassignment will spread eventually. "To become a Guardian."

Raziel breaks into laughter, collapsing over to lean on his knees. "A Guardian?" he cackles. Each sound echoes in Nathanael's head only to come back and mock him once more.

"I have to go." Nathanael turns and descends the steps.

"My how the mighty have fallen," Raziel boasts from the edge where he looms above.

His fists are so clenched, his nails make marks in his palms. If he could feel pain, they would probably ache. He wanders down the pathway alongside the river by foot. Mindlessly, he walks through the Pearly Gates, not even bothering to waive to Saint Peter before his feet pause at the edge of the clouds. Below him lies a completely different world-Earth. He was only sent there twice over the past few months-earthly time-on assignment as an Archangel.

Now, he takes in the winding roads and the cloud of smog humans have created in an otherwise perfect realm. His first time to Earth, he took one whiff of the air and didn't breathe until returning to Heaven. Secs have a way of destroying everything Angels work so hard to keep thriving. Secs, the Secular world, Raziel is right. The mighty have fallen.

Before he can change his mind, his wings burst open. There's no way he's going to ruin everything he's ever worked for. Even if it appears to be hopeless now, the Lord always has a purpose. He will prove his worth-if it's the last thing he ever does. His feathers twitch, anxious for the air. With one last breath of the clean, fresh air of Heaven, he dives toward the surface.

His wings carry him lower and lower. They spin him around in circles causing his usually perfect hair to flap all about. This long descent is the best part of this whole thing. It's the most air he's ever experienced, making him feel like a dove: determined and free.

He begins to lose some of his excitement as the trees below grow bigger and bigger. Just as he's about to enter the first few branches, he pulls up and straightens out flying over them instead. He's just not... ready. The line of trees cease, and an endless sight of houses sprout up underneath him. His wings spread wide and flap up and down causing him to hover above the town.

What am I doing? I need to report. Responding to his thoughts, his wings turn his body around, taking him back toward coordinates 42.3064' N, 78.0164' W.

Nathanael's feet pace their way across the pavement for the hundredth time before turning to do it over again. The coordinates took him to a blue farmhouse nestled along the tree line.