Chapter 3 - Memories

* Author's note: I want to thank joykatherine97 *** joykatherine97 is now DreadfulJOY *** and live4ever_laugh2day for reading and commenting on my story. It means so much to me! Thanks so much! <3

Also, I want to say that I will try to update as much as I can, but I don't have much time, so I may update less frequently.

This chapter is dedicated to Star21 for making the lovely book trailer on the introduction to my story! Thank you so much! I absolutely adore the trailer <3

Ok, well on with the story!

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsey’s Point of View

Seeing Jeff again had opened up a wound in my heart I thought I had sealed long ago, when I had escaped from our home. But I was wrong, feeling his warm hand on my shoulder, seeing his blue eyes filled with genuine sympathy, it had pained me. It reminded me of our teenage years, when we had everything going for us, when dreams really came true.

I felt liquid pool in my eyes, and I tried to blink back the tears, but the dam broke, and the salty fluid poured out, dripping from my cheekbones to the linoleum floor. Angry, I swiped them away with my arm, horrified that I could be crying over this man who had already caused me so much pain.

Was it possible to really forget Jeff, when my angel Katie had his eyes, and his smile? Sure, he never smiled anymore, but I could remember those times before his mother had died, when a smile graced his face every day.

“Lindsey! Lindsey, come over here!”

“Jeff, you know I can’t climb fences. I’m a girl!”

“Please? I’ll help you,” he pouted.

“Fine, I’m coming,” I begrudgingly replied.

“Yay!” He beamed, smiling at me, his blue eyes brighter than any gemstone my mother owned.

Oh the things I would do for this boy. I quickly scampered over the fence, and jumped onto his side of the yard, dusting off my shorts, and straightening out my T-Shirt.

I felt his arms wrap around my slim body, and I laughed, and leaned against his chest. He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, and I giggled as his sister Kelsey made a disgusted face before running off screaming “Mom! Jeff’s giving Lindsey his cooties again!”

He shook his head, his sweet laughter filling the yard. I smiled, watching as Kelsey ran around screaming “EW! Cooties!”

Whatever happened to Kelsey anyway? She was such a sweet girl, with beautiful hair like gold and large blue eyes that glowed green when she was laughing. Oh, how I had adored the little brat.

Sure she tattled on us a lot, but she was so cute. I missed those days, when Jeff was still kind and smiling, and loving.

The days when his innocence radiated bright, the days when he would surprise me with cute little gifts. When I was married to him, the only surprise I got was when he came home that one month.

“Mommy! Mommy, I home! Katie home!”

“Aw baby, how was preschool? Did you have fun?”

“Yeah! I made you a pwetty glitter picture. Mommy like?” She stared up at me hopefully, her face glowing with sparkles and stickers.

“Mommy love. Come on baby. I’ll make you a snack.”

“It’s ok Mommy, Ms. G gave us cookies today. They were yummy in my tummy.”

“Ok, Mommy’s going to eat something though.”

“Kay.”

She scampered off into her room, skipping and humming, leaving a trail of glitter behind. I shook my head, smiling at my sweet angel. Her gold hair swung behind her, and I noticed a halo of flowers in her hair.

In her hand, she clutched her cute little Barbie lunchbox, and a daisy, my favorite flower. The flower I had given Jeff, when I had been five.

I sobbed as blood trickled down my knee, scratched from a rock I had tripped over.

"Here, let me help you."

Looking up, I gazed into the most beautiful pair of blue eyes I had ever seen, and gasped to regain my breath. They were blue as the sky, and in that instant, I changed my mind about pink. Pink was too normal. Blue was beautiful.

He smiled down at me, and offered a hand, and I saw the sun shine on his golden hair. Giving me a lopsided grin, he pulled me up. 

I smiled and handed him a single, limp daisy. 

"Thank you," I whispered, before I limped off towards my mommy, clutching my bloody knee against my dress.

Little did I know how much pain this "innocent" little boy would cause me. 

I sighed and sank to the floor, taking out the only picture I had kept of Jeff and me. We had both been children, and I was walking through the woods with him. He was so much taller than me, but I had looked up to him.

That day, we had become the best of friends. I used to follow him around like a lost puppy in elementary, and he had always accepted me. His friends got used to the fact that I was his best friend, although they used to tease us.

Jeff and Lindsey, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Jeff with a baby carriage.

They couldn't have been more right. Except it had been me with the baby carriage, me with Katie. Jeff doesn't know Katie exists, even though he should. But the bastard doesn't deserve to know an angel like Katie. I had suffered through my pregnancy alone. I had gone through labor alone. No one was there to tell me they loved me when Katie came into the world.

All the other women either took pity on me, or thought I was a whore, since I was only 20 at the time. He had left me when I needed him most. Steph, Tiff, and Mels threw a baby shower for me, and invited everyone I knew, but it wasn't the same. I wasn't going to be able to share the joy of my baby with my husband. With Jeff. 

And that's just the thing. When people ask about me, Jeff always comes to mind. He was a huge part of my life. And he still is. Katie is just like the young version of Jeff, the kind, sweet, lovable version. The one I used to love. The Jeff now? He can go rot in a hole for all I care.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* The picture on the side is the picture Lindsey talks about in this chapter ;)