Chapter 31 - Epilogue

Chapter 31 – Epilogue

The room was peaceful and quiet, the chirping of the birds outside was vaguely heard from the inside, the soft sound coming from the air conditioner, clothes scattered across the floor, white bed sheets wrapped around their naked bodies, legs entangled with each others and the steady rhythm of their soft breathing.

Luke slept on his back with his right arm wrapped around Calum's back who's laying on top of him, Calum's head nuzzling his neck.

Calum woke up with a start, he fluttered his eyes as they adjusted to the bright light coming from the huge windows. Looks like someone forgot to close the curtains the previous night. He let out a little groan, too lazy to get up and close the curtains so he just pulled the blanket up to his face and nuzzled his head further into Luke's neck. This movement caused Luke to wake up.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Calum whispered as Luke brought a hand up to touch his hair.

"No, it's okay, Cal." He said while drawing circles on Calum's back which caused the other boy to close his eyes and relax further into his husband's arms.

"Let's go back to sleep, Luke." Calum's muffled voice came.

"Yeah, that would be great, baby." Luke agreed.

The two of them went back to sleep. Shifting positions from time to time.

It was three in the afternoon when Luke woke up again. He felt no weight on him so he assumed Calum was beside him. He started to extend his arm to where he assumed Calum would be but he felt nothing. He opened his eyes, squinting due to the bright light as he slowly sat up. The blanket falling from his chest to his lap, exposing the evidences of what happened the night before.

"Heyyyy, you're awake!" Calum appeared by the bathroom's door wearing a new pair of boxers, smiling down at his husband.

Luke smiled at Calum, his eyes trailing down Calum's body, observing the marks that he left last night. The marks which indicated that Calum was his.

"Morning, Cal."

"It's the afternoon, Luke." Calum chuckled.

Luke smiled but said nothing as he stood up and went towards the bathroom.

"Are you going to take a shower?"

"Yeah. You?"

"Nah, I already did. Besides, I had to cook food for the kids. They should be arriving in a few minutes." Calum said, galncing at the digital clock beside their bed.

"Dad! Papa! We're home!"

"And they're here." Calum stated and hurried to put on his clothes to meet the kids downstairs.

"I'll be down in a few!" Luke yelled from inside the bathroom.

"Hey, kids!" Calum was engulfed in a hug by the kids by the time his foot reached the last step of the stairs.

"Hey, papa! Where's dad?" The kid with blonde hair and purplish eyes asked.

"He's taking a shower, Carl." Calum answered and proceeded to the kitchen.

"I figured you guys would be hungry after those days of intense training so I cooked something for you." Calum exclaimed.

"Finally! Oh my god, pa, I was getting sick of the beef stew they made us eat during the training camp. I swear." The girl with dark brown hair and light brown eyes complained which caused Calum to laugh.

"Sure, you did, Lorraine." Calum laughed and he ushered the kids to the kitchen where warm food is waiting.

"Come on, eat up!" Calum said as he opened the fridge to take out the orange juice he prepared earlier.

"I'll eat when Dad's here." Carl said, tapping on his phone while he sat on the dining table.

"Yeah, we'll wait for dad." Lorraine smiled.

Calum smiled and started pouring the orange juice into their glasses just in time for Luke to come down, fresh from the shower, his hair still damp and planted a kis on the kids' heads and on Calum's cheek.

"Daaaaaaaaaad!" Lorraine and Carl engulfed him in a hug causing him to let out a small chuckle.

"So, what did I miss?" he asked.

"Nothing much, Luke. Except from the fact that Lorraine was complaining about the beef stew that they made them eat everyday during the camp." Calum answered and Luke laughed.

"It was horrible, Dad. I swear, I'm not eating beef stew again." She said and took a seat beside Calum.

They ate their food, the kids telling stories about what happened during their camp while Luke and Calum listened and laughed at some moments.

It's been 3 years since they met Carl and Lorraine in the outskirts of town with nowhere to live, no food and less water turned out that their parents were one of the victims in the breakout of the virus years ago and since Luke and Calum had taken a liking to them, they took them in and decided that they will provide everything that the two needed to be happy. And they did. They formed a little family with Cake as their pet. Carl and Lorraine were extremely thankful that Calum and Luke found them because they were nice and treated them as if they were their own son and daughter.

"You may not be our kids by blood, we may have just adopted you but it doesn't really matter. Family is not just about being connected by blood. It's about forming an unbreakable bond with the people who's really important to you and that you'll do everything you can to keep the smile on their faces." Lorraine and Carl remembered Luke telling them when Lorraine came home crying because students from her class kept bullying her about how Luke and Calum weren't her real parents and that they were just forced to take them in. And to say that Calum and Luke were hurt to see their baby crying would be an understatement but they still appeared strong in front of the two because they know that they love Carl and Lorraine the same way a parent love his son and daughter.

THE END

I can't thank you guys enough for reading this book. :D

Thank you so much to all those who supported this book! :D

~Jo-Millie