//Chapter 38//

Newt's POV

I paced outside of the Maze doors, the same door she had disappeared behind. I rubbed my sore eyes, my throat still tight from crying. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I was struggling to even so much as breath properly.

"Newt?"

I glanced over my shoulder to see Chuck strolling over, Gally at his side, the usually sour Glader had a hint of sympathy on his face. Charming. How bloody charming.

I continued to pace, wiping my face with my hands as the time rolled by slowly. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I was just hoping and praying, that somehow, they survived, even though every second I knew that they couldn't.

"Newt?"

I heard again and I growled, glaring over my shoulder.

"What?!"

I snarled, Chuck jumping, even though he tried not to look weak. Gally stepped in as Chuck struggled to figure out what to say. Gally spoke for him instead.

"You're in love with that girl aren't you shank?"

Gally accused and I growled deeply again, hearing his snappy tone, like loving the girl was the greatest crime to the human race. I bit my lip hard as I glared at him, you know what.

"Yeah, so what? got a problem with her?"

I accused right back as I turned around, glaring at him as I folded my arms, I didn't need this. I didn't need to be accused and mocked while people I cared about where trapped in a death trap, most likely dead.

"Yes actually but that's not the point-"

"No, I believe it is the point, do you have a problem with my girlfriend?"

I dropped the bomb and Gally's eyebrows raised, Chuck's mouth hanging open like a hole in the ground. No one really knew, only Minho and Alby knew, now more did. and because they now knew the whole glade would soon.

But I didn't care that he knew, I wanted to know what he had against Malaya, she has done nothing to him that he didn't deserve. Gally shook his head, see even he didn't know why he was horrible to her. He was just horrible to everyone.

I went to argue with him, but my voice was cut off. The door's boomed, before they slowly started to shift open. I immediately turned my attention away from them, looking at the door's that were slowly starting to shift open.

My heart was pounding, standing there, waiting for any second to see a face or hear a voice. But there was nothing, absolutely nothing.

My breathing hitched when the doors were open enough for me to look in, there was nothing. No one standing there how I wanted. I didn't know what to do, whether I should just walk away and save myself from the pain of looking into a quiet hall, or wait, like she would just appear. I wanted to cry.

I didn't move, not even when the door's boomed one last time, the doors were open, no one was there. An empty and silent hall. I hung my head, the slight sniffle of Chuck next to me made my heart tighten.

Gladers had come from all around to see what was going on, but there was nothing to see. This was a regular scene, looking to see if someone had made it back. But no one ever does. Not even the girl I loved.

"- I gotta see this hanging on the wall stuff, I think you're shuckin' me"

"Pfft, you can gawk at that shank tied to the wall all you like, I myself would like a med-jack and a shower, my head freakin' kills"