Clicking was followed by the sounds of pistons moving. It was getting closer, Bark growled, but he made no other sound. Within seconds Minho was holding my hand and turning back, running the way we had come.

My heart was beating like the heart of a tired racehorse, I was terrified. I didn't want to die. Minho was panting heavily, as we sprinted, but he made sure that he didn't say a word. We were trying to remain quiet, like at any minute it would hear us.

The same though burnt in my head. 'no one's survived the night'. I never asked about the maze, but now I kind of wished I had.

The whirring seemed to grow no matter how far we ran, but then suddenly. It died, the sound was gone. We slowed down to a stop, the only sound was us panting. Looking around for any sign of the griever. Was it stalking us?

"where did it go?"

I whispered and Minho shrugged, he was listening closely to his surroundings. The thing could be anywhere, and we don't even know where we are. I swallowed deeply before looking around.

After waiting for a few moments, the location of the beast came to be known. A scream, one so loud and full of fear it hit my ears like a hot iron to water. We both looked at each other and I could feel my face drain of blood.

"It's Thomas"

Minho looked conflicted, like he didn't know what to do. He bounced from foot to foot, looking down the corridor away from the sound, before he looked at me. I could see what was wrong now, he knew I wanted to help. And to be honest... I don't think I can go with Minho. I can't leave Alby and Thomas, as much as I don't know Thomas and Hate Alby. I just can't leave them.

I could imagine the disappointment Newt would hold knowing that his girlfriend didn't even try and help his friend, that she let him die without even trying to help. I can't do that to Newt, I needed to go back.

"Minho?"

I said, pulling on his hand, he froze. Looking deep into my eyes, like he was searching for the answer. I gave it to him, we can't leave our friends behind, if we're going to die I want to die knowing I did something for my friends.

"We need to go back"

...

We had been running for god knows how long, getting closer to the sounds happening, we were barrelling down a corridor when all of a sudden Minho grabbed me, yanking me behind the wall.

I gapped at him for a second before he pointed around the corner silently. I looked, he was right. They were coming down this corridor. I could see the vines moving as they ran closer, the sound growing every second.

I panted, waiting to see whoever was running, wait doesn't that mean that Thomas left Alby? There is no way that Alby was up and walking around, there was just no chance. A pang of guilt hit my heart.

I watched in shock as in under a few seconds I saw Thomas, he was barrelling down the corridor, two grievers behind him. He looked terrified, I could almost hear his heavy breathing from here, I could imagine how tired he was.

Fear panged in my heart as his exit was cut off. Down the other end of the corridor was another griever, letting out a sound that almost resembled a laugh. It skidded around, like it was running on ice before it went barrelling down the corridor.

I gasped, covering my mouth sharply as I muttered encouragement, he has to duck down one of these corners, he can get to the corner in time. The griever's bodies were pulsing with spikes as they jumped forward, coiling itself up to roll forward, like a giant ball of spiked death.