35~ "Will you marry me?"

Start from the beginning

“I- i cAn ExPlaIn...”

“Explain.” Her hand coiled around my neck and I swear my vision became white (even if she didn't do anything). She was going to be the death of me tonight.

I gripped a hand around her wrist to be better safe than sorry. I explained her what I knew but she didn't seem to buy it. So I did the only sane thing I could, to save myself from her sharp clutches. “You know what, I'm going to ask her myself. Be right back.”

And ran to the bar where her object of jealousy was.

In contrast to the hot headed Ahana, Natasha seemed as cool as a cucumber, seated cross- legged on the barstool with a glass of mocktail. She took one look at my sorry face and tched. “You're still as dickhead as ever.”

“You're the one to talk, you foul- mouthed bitch.”

We almost smiled. Almost, before I realized my place. I craned my head behind to spot Ahana talking to our college group. As if sensing my gaze from across the room, she turned her head towards my direction making me freeze on the spot. She pointed two fingers towards her eyes before pointing them to mine, as if saying- 'I'm watching you, dear'.

I pressed my lips inwardly.

“Why did you come?”

“Why, you ask?” Natasha popped out her mouth from the straw. She frowned at me as if I was being absurd for asking. “Because free food and fuck, baby.”

I almost fell off from my chair. “That's your excuse?”

“Well, yeah.” She shrugged like it was obvious. “I can say I came to see my ex friend getting hitched but that would be too generic. I can also say I came to act upon a silly promise but I wouldn't. Not when that stranger doesn't give two fucks about inviting me. By the way, I didn't plan on coming alone but that gluttony was running late so I didn't have a choi—”

“Irfan is coming?!” I practically yelled out loud enough for Natasha to cover her ears. I recalled what she said earlier and put on an apologetic face. “I'm sorry. I know I almost never stayed in contact with you but you know why. It was never because of you or me. I'm sure the reason must be blatantly obvious to you by now.”

“Uh- huh! I don't even need to look behind me. I could already sense an axe hanging over my head.”

“Fuck. Is she still watching over me?”

Natasha peered at Ahana's direction for a second before turning to me. “You bet she is.”

“Nat, I'm so sorry. Ahana isn't like this at all. I don't know what's gotten into her. I mean I know she would be insecur—”

“Then why do you have that cartoon like smile on your face?”

I tried to tone my smile down. I really did. Pressing my lips tight, I craned my head sideways towards Ahana again. Her expression reminded me of those nosy Aunties who would watch over their children's activities like a hound dog. I sank my head on the table, laughing quietly. “I always longed to see a green Ahana. I only witnessed that side once in Huntsville. She's the type who feels proud if someone shows an interest in me. But, now? Did you look at her? She looks so freaking cuute! I've never seen her this jealous in my entire life. The word is practically leaking out of her. Ugh, if only I could take a photo of her right now.”

Her nose crinkled in disgust. “You must be seriously whipped if you call that cute.”

“Ah, what can I say? That's just how love works. You know what? I'm glad you came. Keep making her jealous this way. Its not fair how she often sees my possessive side. I want to see hers, too.”