First Round

Antonio sat on the sofa, looking at the television that was off. He was looking at his reflection in the dead quiet. His suspicions were confirmed; Conner had feelings for Milagros.

His hands clenched into fists. There was a part of him that hoped that Conner did not have feelings for Milagros. It was just wishful thinking on his part. Antonio met a woman that saw him as a man, as a human, when many people did not. He did not want another to take her away from him. "I will not let that white man take her away. I will fight to the death."

As he stood, there was another knock on his door. He went to the door and opened it. Once Antonio opened the door, all his anger went away when he saw the one person he wanted to see.

"Milagros, good morning. Please come in," he said as he motioned her in.

Milagros did not say a word, but she entered. 

The door closed, and they were alone in the quiet house. "Would you like some coffee?"

"No, thank you."

 Both went to the kitchen and sat on chairs. Antonio noticed that Milagros would try her best not to look at him. 

Did Conner say something to her?

"Hey, Milagros. Are you okay?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, what can I help you with?"

Milagros looked at him. "I-I wanted to talk to you about the village festival coming up in two weeks. The organization wants to celebrate with its partnership with the village. I-I wanted to ask if you could help us prepare. If you are not busy."

Antonio's eyes became a bit wide open, so she was not mad. When he heard her speak, she sounded a bit nervous and shy. Then realization came to him. She was still thinking about the night she saw him nude in the shower.

Relief came to him. "Of course. I would love to help you. When do we need to start?"

Milagros' face softened. "Tomorrow morning. We need to gather some things and start building stands and rides."

"Great, I look forward to it. By the way, your friend came by."

Her eyes became wide open. "Conner?"

Antonio nodded. "He had a bit of misunderstanding, but don't worry about it. He only cares for your well-being."

Milagros stood from her seat. "Thank you, Antonio. I will see you tomorrow." To his surprise, she gave him a peck on the cheek and left. 

He touched his cheek and felt his face turn warm. A smile came across his face. "This is only the first round, two more to go."