20. I Miss You Like An Idiot Misses The Point

Beginne am Anfang

“What’s going on?” I asked quietly, motioning for Kate to get Sterling so I could step out of the room.

“Are you alone?”

“No, but I will be in a second,” I said, walking quickly out of my room

As I walked down the hallway, I heard Kate say, “Well, looks like John knows something then.”

“Was that Mom?” John asked, hearing her also. 

I nodded as I walked down the hallway toward the doors to the third floor of the library.  “Yeah.  We’ve all been pretty much hauled up in my room watching movies all day.  She and Juliet just came in to tell us about an assignment…one that you’ll be on for other reasons, it seems like.”

John sighed, and I could see him shaking his head.  “Looks like I’ll get to see you sooner than we both thought.”

I swallowed hard.  “Why do you say that as if it’s a bad thing?”

“Because in some ways it is.  What did they tell you you’d be doing in London?”

“Looking out for you and Ed.  That’s our job.”

“And our job,” he said quietly, “is to look out for you.”

“Me?” I squeaked.  “Why me?  You’re the ones who…”

“Ed’s not telling Mom and Juliet something…and that’s what they told you, isn’t it?”

“Well, yes…”

“But I’m going to tell you what’s really going on.”

“Okay,” I whispered, suddenly not wanting to know what it was.

It took him a moment to speak again.  “Ed told them that he was there to speak at the meeting, but that’s not the only thing that he’s there to do.  It’s not the only thing I’m there to do either.  You know the two people who’d to that antiquities company in Florence?”

I nodded.  “Seraphina Guillory and her brother, Hector.”

“Exactly.  I didn’t know who they were until Ed told me about them earlier.  She’s married to pretty much the highest ranking member of Order.  He’s been in prison in the States for almost nine years now for multiple charges of attempted murder.  But even when he’s in prison, he still does Order business from the inside.  That’s why no one messes with him, other prisoners or police.  They don’t know exactly who he is, but they know he’s a dangerous man without even knowing just how much.”

“So what does he have to do with everything?”

“It’s not him exactly, but his and Seraphina’s son.  His name is Connor and he was apparently there at the meeting that night also, but only stopped by for a moment and didn’t even come inside.  He’s just as bad as his father, though, so he wears his surname proudly.  He’s supposedly going to be there in London and…”

“And…?”

He paused a moment again before letting out a long sigh.  “Ed and I were going to the meeting for only one reason before, but now for another reason entirely.  We got letter two days ago with a warning…a warning about you.  They know you’re still alive now, and it even commended the Knights for their plan on getting everyone to think you’d died in New York.  ‘Genius’ is what he called it.  But with everything that happened with me in the alley, they know you’re still here…and that you’ll be in London. 

“That’s our new reason for going.  To protect you.  Because they plan on taking you…and neither Ed nor I will allow that.  Ed’s doing everything in his power to prevent that, trying to contact them for negotiations, and I will take down anyone who tries to take you away from me.”

“But I…I don’t get why…?”

“To get me, that’s why.  There is only one thing most important to me that everyone knows would make me surrender in a heartbeat if something were to happen.  And that’s you.  I would fight until the very end for you.  It’s a well-known fact…and the Order plans to take advantage of that.  You’ve got too many people watching your back, though – me, Ed, Ryan, the Brotherhood, and the Knights.  You know that we’ll all do everything in our power to make sure nothing happens to you, Emmy.”

“What’s his name?” I whispered then, needed to know just who wanted me so badly, just to get to him. 

John knew who I was talking about.  “Seraphina’s husband?  Connor’s father?  Other than being a ruthless man who’s got the prison system in the palm of his hand?  His name is Vince Peters.”

***A short, filler chapter, I know...but you can say I'm totally evil genius laughing right now! 

For all of you who read the My Life series, you guys know just who Vince Peters is.  Didn't see him coming back, did you?  I've been planning on him being a part of this series for a LONG time now...and here he finally is!  

Now, we only have 4 chapters left of FH.  I've actually started planning out the fourth book, which I'll tell you the title of when this is finished...mostly because it in itself will give a lot away that I'm not willing to just yet.  I'm going to try my best to finish the entire book before next Tuesday, June 24th, because that's when I'm leaving for vacation.  I'm actually going to start on the next chapter right now and I'm going to try and have it up by Tuesday or Wednesday.  

So 100 votes and 30 comments before then, as usual?

Comment and vote!!!1***