20. I Miss You Like An Idiot Misses The Point

Start from the beginning

“Well, tell her I say hi then,” I laughed. 

John snorted, and I could practically hear him rolling his eyes.  “Yeah, and make her start crying all over again…Ren would kill me.”

 ...

Kate and Juliet found all of us later that evening still in my room, on my bed, watching what would be our fifth movie.  Ryan and Jude had made a food run a few hours before, coming back with two armfuls of junk that was scattered between the seven of us.  Aiden and Sterling had fallen asleep within the first ten minutes of the movie we were watching then - Aiden sprawled out on my pillows with both feet resting on Jude’s back and arms stretched out and in Ryan’s face and Sterling curled up in my side.  I got the better end of the deal with those two, getting to cuddle up with him. 

“Well, looks like we’ve missed all the fun,” Kate smiled, sitting down in the only available spot beside me.

“Seems we all needed a relaxing, lazy day,” I said quietly as she ran her finger through Sterling’s hair. 

Juliet walked up beside her, arms crossed.  “Well, relaxing time is almost over.  There’s something we need to talk about with the five of you.”

“Let’s just do it in here,” Ryan said as he gently pushed one of Aiden’s arms out of his face when he’d stretched in his sleep.  “We’re all too comfortable to get up.”

Juliet rolled her eyes, but didn’t protest.  So she walked over and pulled my desk chair over since there was no more room on the bed.  “We’ve got an assignment set in three days’ time for you all.  It’s been in the works for a while, but we didn’t know any specifics until recently.”

“And those specifics would be…?” Jamie trailed off.

“First off, it’s a two day meeting between a few world leaders that will be held in London.”

“London?” I asked.

Juliet nodded, knowing exactly where I was going.  “Yes, London.  I’ve got a few others going with you also, but their assignment is different from all of yours.  They will be watching out for the dignitaries – we’ve coordinated with each of their security teams – but the five of you will be watching out for a few other people…and those people will be Ed and John.”

“What will they be doing there?” I asked, confused as to why they would be. 

“Ed’s speaking at the meeting, with John acting as an associate,” Kate answered.  “Ed hasn’t said much about what he’s discussing and won’t elaborate when we ask about it.”

Ryan poked the side of my head, grinning.  “Maybe Emmy can get it out of John if he knows.  She can sweet talk him whenever he calls again.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, narrowing my eyes.  “I haven’t talked to him in two days, actually.”

“And he usually called around this time, right?”

“Yeah, but…”

“So he should be calling…”

My phone started ringing, John’s name flashing on the screen.

Ryan snorted.  “Right about now.”

Reaching over to grab my phone, I shushed everyone before answering.  “Is there a reason you haven’t called me recently?”

“Straight to the point, huh, Emmy love?” John laughed slightly, but I could tell it was a little forced.  Even when I could see him, I knew something was up.