Chapter 19: Arrival

"How much farther do we have to go?" Soren whimpered, arms wrapped tightly around one of the spines on Fauth's back.

"We're almost there," Fauth confirmed with a nod, "Just a little ways more and we'll reach the capitol!"

Ivor smirked, prodding Soren in the back.  "Soren, look around!  The view from here is simply incredible!"

Soren gave a little squeak and tightened his grip.  "I'd rather not, thank you!"

"You know, if you're going to be helping dragons, you'll need to face that fear of heights," Ivor pointed out smugly.

"I'm not afraid of heights!" Soren insisted, "I just... don't fancy the thought of falling from them!"

Fauth grinned a bit and looked to Aravii, rumbling something in the dragons' language.  She laughed and replied, while Xann tilted his head, listening curiously.

"Lukas, you holding up alright?" Petra asked, looking back at him.

Lukas had a very firm grip on Xann's back spikes, but was leaning out curiously, looking around at the mountains.  "This-- this is incredible!  Also terrifying, but incredible!  I... just wish we were a little more secure..."

Fauth looked in his direction.  "The old dragon riders used special harnesses and saddles to keep themselves from falling off... you should be fine for the rest of the journey here, but when we reach the capitol you'll get the chance to learn to make them.  You're right that any sort of advanced maneuvers could become dangerous if a rider isn't properly secured..."

Lukas nodded, grimacing slightly.  "Great-- okay-- I think this will get a whole lot cooler once we get that sorted..."

"Advanced maneuvers?" Axel asked, "When will we get to learn those??"

"After we learn the basic ones, right?" Olivia interjected, looking a little worried.

Fauth nodded.  "Your training will begin whenever you're ready-- each of you riders will find and bond with a dragon partner, and the two of you will begin training together immediately after.  But you'll have a few days to rest first, if you need them..."

Petra scrunched her nose.  "This is all well and good," she said, "But... I mean, now that Xann's back here... won't the rest of us need to go home?"

Fauth gave a short bark of laughter.  "Home?  Oh, that's a good one..."  He broke off abruptly when he saw their faces.  "You... don't know, do you?"

"I... think it's pretty safe to say that we're all very new to what's happening here..."  Jesse murmured.

Fauth's face fell.  "So... you don't know."  He exhaled.  "The kingdom will welcome you all, I'm sure-- but the Dragonborn's coming does not mean peace.  Once the Dark Ones find out that you've arrived..."  He shook his head.  "That's why it's paramount that you start your training as soon as you are able.  We have had peace for years, but I doubt any of us believed it would last..."

"The Dark Ones?" Harper asked, frowning.  "I... take it by their name that they are powerful enemies, but who are they?"

"They're also known as the Cult of Molzroth," Aravii told them quietly, unusually somber and serious.

Ivor paled.  "Molzroth?  The traitor?"

Fauth nodded.  "Molzroth was not alone in his treachery.  Before his fall, he gathered many allies-- and a large number of them escaped.  We've held them at bay for many years, for the capitol was built to be defended, but never have we managed to destroy their stronghold.  When they discover that the Dragonborn has arisen, they will come in force-- and we must be ready..."