Chapter 9: Fall

The giant was already making good headway toward Beacontown-- Lukas could see that immediately as he neared it.  Though its movements were slow, it covered so much ground with each stride that it kept up a moderate pace.  Now, only the woods stood between it and the town-- and those would scarcely slow it.

"Petra!" he yelled, frantically searching the woods.  He wasn't sure which way she had gone, but he wasn't about to let her get caught between the giant and the town.  "Petra, are you here?"

No answer came from the thick trees-- but the giant's loud stomping grew nearer and nearer.  If Petra was out here, he realized, she must have gone into hiding or escaped already.  He just hoped she'd make her way back to safety in the town.

He whirled to face the giant, which loomed menacingly over the trees.  He knew he could do little to stop it on his own-- but maybe, just maybe, he could slow it down long enough to give the town more time to prepare.

Drawing his bow, he quickly nocked and fired an arrow, expert aim sending it straight into the giant's neck.  It gave a guttural snarl of surprise and turned to face him, and Lukas urged his horse back into the woods, quickly disappearing into the foliage.  For several moments the giant searched for him, but then turned back to the town, evidently deciding he wasn't worth its time.

Quickly, Lukas darted into the open behind it again, firing another arrow.  Once he had its attention, again he fled to the woods, keeping out of its sight.  Again and again he repeated the process, always one step ahead.  He knew he had hardly a prayer of taking the creature down on his own-- he just hoped he was buying the others some time.

***

"Axel, we're gonna need firepower."  Jesse's assessment was brief and definitive-- it was clear immediately that standard weapons would do little against the giant.  Swords were out of the question unless they could somehow reach its head, and standard bows wouldn't damage it quick enough-- it would still reach the town before they could take it out.  No, they'd need something with a lot more oomph.

"A canon?" Axel asked, "Do we have the time?"

"If we all work together, we should-- now come on!  We've got to get outside and set it up before it gets here!"  Jesse dashed for the town gate, the others following close behind her.

"Is it turning around?" Olivia asked suddenly, as the giant whirled and took a swing into the trees.

"It must have found something there," Jesse observed.  "Quick, while it's distracted!  Let's get this canon going!"

They began to build, practiced expertise guiding them as they assembled the canon.  They mounted it to a tall pillar, hoping to launch explosives into the giant's face and chest where they'd do less damage to the environment.  For much of the build the zombie continued to circle in the woods, swatting down trees with its bare hands, but finally it turned its full attention back to the town and came lumbering toward them, evidently having lost interest in the distraction.

Axel loaded the canon with TNT, looking to Jesse for the signal to light it.  Jesse stood her ground toward the front of the platform, eyes narrowed as she scrutinized the giant's approach.  "Ready... fire!"

Axel touched his redstone torch to the fuse and with a hiss it caught-- just as Olivia threw a lever that flung the primed explosive into the air.  It hurtled toward the giant, catching it in the chest and exploding with a terrific bang.  The zombie stumbled backwards, nearly going down in the woods, but then regained its balance and lurched toward them again.

"Again!  Ready... fire!"

The second blast struck the creature in the shoulder-- again it stumbled, nearly falling, but stayed upright and continued unfased.