Chapter 11: Refuge

Night had fallen by the time they reached a small cave in the hillside some ways outside of town.  By now the dragon was limping with exhaustion, dragging his injured wing behind him.  Lukas gazed out into the dark with worried eyes, still cradling Petra in his arms, but thankfully the cave was empty.  With mobs beginning to spawn outside, they hurried in, and Lukas lit a fire in the back to light the area, laying Petra near it, while he dragon lay down at the other side of the fire.  He looked wearily up at Lukas, watching him as he began to secure the cave.

"Of course it's night-- it had to be night.  I don't know that I can make it back alone..."

The dragon gave a quiet rumble and pinned his ears, looking worried.  Lukas sighed, finishing securing the entrance, and flopped down on the floor, staring into space.  Was this it, then?  Had they gone to all this trouble for nothing?  Without potions, he wasn't sure how long Petra could hold out-- and should they fall under attack, he wasn't sure how long the dragon would be able to last without being able to fly...

"I'm sorry," he murmured, resting his head in his hands.  "This... this was a bad idea... we should have just gone back..."

Scales shifted on stone behind him as the dragon rose, padding over to him and sitting at his side, watching him with a thoughtful expression.  Lukas lifted his gaze.  "I don't suppose you have any ideas, do you?"

The dragon pinned his ears and shook his head with a soft grumble.  Lukas looked away.  "I didn't think so..."

Suddenly, a loud snap came from outside, and both of them looked up.  Lukas could have sworn he heard the faint sound of voices in the distance...

He rose quietly, creeping toward the barricade.  "Stay here," he warned, and the dragon slunk back deeper into the cave.  Cautiously he climbed over the barrier, slipping outside.

"I told you the cave was that way!" an indignant male voice protested.  "We've been walking for hours, and have we found it?  No!"

Lukas's eyes narrowed sharply-- realizing that taking shelter in this particular cave may have been a mistake...

"It is this way!" a second male argued, "I know it is!  It should be right here!  It's just-- been a while since I was here last!"

"'Been a while'?  We don't have time for your 'been a while'!" the first voice retorted.  "Those zombies over there?  They'd like to make a meal of us, and your 'been a while' is going to be the hand that feeds them!"

"Come on, you two," a third voice, this one female, chimed in, "You both know that's not true.  My hand will be the one that feeds them if you two don't quit arguing and figure out where we're going!"

Torchlight glimmered in the woods a short ways off, and Lukas quickly ducked into the bushes, drawing his sword.  He could see the figures approaching, shadows making their way through the bush...

As they reached them, he vaulted out, thudding into the first of the group and sending the torch flying.  It landed in the dirt and went out, stranding them in the darkness, as the man's shout of alarm split the silence.  Immediately, chaos reigned.  Someone kicked Lukas's sword out of his hands, and he found himself thrashing around on the floor with one of the intruders.  They rolled over and over, bouncing through the grass.  Lukas caught hold of something hairy and yanked, and was met with another shout and a smack to the side of the head.

Suddenly the torch hissed back into light and Lukas drew back quickly, squinting and blinking in the brightness.  For the first time, he caught a clear glimpse of his opponent and gasped.  "What in the name of sanity-- Ivor???"