08. | the dance

T H E
D A N C E

Dressed in her silk gown, Rowan was leaning over the bathroom counter as she fixed the smokey eyeshadow Rose has insisted she put on. "It's going to be perfect with the dress." She had said when they were all lounged in the living area, earning a groan from Edward as they all had some idea of how her prom dress would look except for him, the mind reader. Rowan placed a bit of peppermint gloss on her lips before leaning back and looking at herself in the mirror. The last time she got glammed up was her wedding with Edward twenty six years ago. Granted, she had a softer look that time with a light blush and pale pink eyeshadow. Now, she was sporting the dark and mysterious look you can find from harlots in casinos and movies. Rowan leaned down to slip the gladiator sandals she brought in the bathroom with her. Once her shoes were on, she stood straight and took a deep breath, fluffing up her curled hair and taking the faux animal fur shoulder piece Alice bought yesterday. It was white with light and dark grey strands, to go across her bacm and drape over her arms to keep her 'warm' in the evening. For appearances. She clipped the piece in place so that it was hanging on the upper part of her arm. With another sigh, she picked up Alice's leather purse and turned the knob of the bathroom door. She rushed around the bedroom in human pace as to not mess up her hair. She took three hair ties from her drawer to put in her purse, including her phone and the official prom invitation. What was the purpose of the purse? Appearances. At the foot end of the bed, was a low table that led Ro's jewelry box and Edward's laptop. Rowan quickly opened the box and got a silver necklace and her engagement ring out. The necklace was short, ending just below her collarbone. It had a charm, a silver oval with an engraving at the back. A first year anniversary gift from Edward. Putting her accessories on, she quickly looked at the time, then made her way through the hall and down the stairs.

Breathtaking, that's what he was when she caught sight of him halfway down the staircase with his unruly hair slightly brushed back and his white button down matching with his black suit and bowtie. He looked almost exactly as he did back at '83 during their wedding. Minus the white rose pinned to his chest pocket. Edward was smiling when he caught sight of her. It wasn't as common to see her in a dress these days as opposed to back in the fifties. He had missed it, and the way the dark silk fitted her waist and her makeup accentuated her already ethereal features, Edward was floored. He hadn't said one thing or moved one inch when he first caught sight of her. It was like their first meeting all over again. Their older siblings had already left for prom, Carlisle had a shift in the hospital and Esme was somewhere in Seattle, shopping for new clothes. Currently, it was only the two in the lavish open spaced home. Edward had seconds thoughts about the prom. With her looking like this, he doesn't think he'll make it until midnight.

"Let's go, love." Ro said, standing in front of him, close yet so far. He silently nodded, his eyes finally moving from her figure to the matching white flower in his hand. At the sight of the white rose, Rowan smiled and extended her hand, Edward slipping the fabric bracelet onto her delicate wrist. Edward took her hand in his, turning it and bringing it up to kiss her wrist with his lips. As if on cue, they turned and and headed out, already on a bliss for the night ahead. After a run through of flashing lights and complimentary cherry punch - which the two discretely placed on a table they passed, Rowan and Edward had exited the venue their prom was being held at. They went into a gazebo, where another two couples were swaying along to the slowed down music. Stopping at the center, Edward gave Ro a little twirl, a gesture she grinned at, then pulled her into his arms. An Iron & Wine song was playing, but it was muffled out as the two lovers gazed into each other's eyes. He looked at her as if she hung the moon and stars, and she looked at him as if he was the moon and stars. Rowan softly hummed along to the chorus while Edward tightened his arms around her waist, fingers pinching the silk and slightly pulling it from her skin. It hugged her body too well, he had thought and he can't help but think so especially when others' eyes stayed longer than needed to be. Although he can't deny how beautiful she looked, as beautiful as she always did. If not, more.

"I've always hated dancing." It was uncharacteristic and unmatched for the mood, but that's just how Rowan was. "Hmm," Edward hummed, pulling her closer to his body by her hips. "Even our first dance?" Rowan softly groaned, "Especially our first dance," she tightened her grip around his neck and shoulders. "I never paid attention to the lessons while growing up. I hated thinking I'd screw up and step on your toes on our wedding day." They both chuckled at the thought, "Just imagine, husband stomped to death by his ungraceful dancing wife." Edward laughed, crinkles by his eyes forming when he did so. He tilted his head down a bit, his lips brushing against Ro's hairline as he chuckled at her unpredictability. "What a scandal," he had agreed. "Not how I imagined to spend my first few hours married to be, but maybe next time." Rowan pulled back a bit, eyes searching his. "Next time?" she asked, and he shrugged. She almost looked insulted when he did so. Seriously, a shrug? Edward took her soft hands into his bigger ones, "Why not?" Rowan ran her hands up from his palms to his arm, ending on his shoulders. She slightly squeezed the muscles while her eyes closed, hopeful. "Please don't tell me you're proposing." Edward scoffed, "I'm not."

"Good," Rowan had quickly replied and Edward raised his perfect brow at this. "Proposing for a second wedding at a prom would not be as romantic as they put in books, Edward." He nodded, "I know." He pulled her closer once more, "I'm not proposing now, maybe soon. I just wanted you to know that a second wedding would be inevitable." Rowan nodded in acceptance. "Okay, soon." Edward nodded, moving his hands from her hips to cup her face, pressing his lips unto her once, then twice. "Yes, love. Soon."

words ; 1156
status ; unedited
a/n ; drama. soon. cackle
ㅡ RIO