06. | the city

T H E
C I T Y

December 18. The season's first snowfall and Forks High's first official day of winter break. And when the students get back from break at January 4, the next few days will be preparations for prom. And by the the end of the week - January 9, every high school girl's dream will come true. But for now, all Rowan cared about was the road of the highway stretching in front of them. The interior of the Volvo was undeniably warmer - though the temperatures were only differing a few degrees - than the cold nipping outside. Not that the two vampires felt it. Despite their inability of feeling such harsh colds, they were still cuddled up from across the console, mainly because Rowan was irritated from the long drive and Edward was getting touchy. Their hands were intertwined and was rested on Ro's lap while Edward's unoccupied hand was on the steering wheel. Ro's other hand was wrapped around the forearm of the one intertwined with her's, her feet were flat on the leather seat and she had her body stretched across the middle so she can rest her head on Edward's shoulder. A complete safety hazard but it was their one form of compromise. That, or pulling over and fucking in the backseat. But, Edward was still old school and they've missed the last stop sign fifty miles back.

"I want to visit Lily." She was rubbing her thumb across the back of his hand and Edward momentarily raised a brow and turned his attention from the road to give her a look. "Baby..." He started, not knowing what to say. She just sighed, continuing her loving rubs against his hand. "I know, I can't let anyone see me. But I missed her and I want to see how her life's holding up." Lily Victoire was eight years old when Rowan last saw her, and only a few months old before then. Edward sighed, bringing their intertwined hands to his lips, eyes never leaving the road. His lips brushing against her skin when he spoke, "She grew up beautifully, love. Married at 23 to an engineer." Rowan looked up at him with awe, he continued talking as she slowly took her hands out of his hold. "She had a daughter and two sons, a granddaughter on the way." If she was physically capable to cry, she would have. Her beautiful baby sister, happily married with children of her own. Rowan can't do anything but sadly smile and Edward reached to his side to hold her hand again. She just gave him a smile, a thanks for his comfort and the heartwarming news.

After a painful, nonstop thirty two hour drive from Forks to Chicago, Edward has finally pulled up to a modern, sixty floor storey dark paned building. Rowan peered up the building from inside the car window, in awe of the newly built residences in Chicago. It was a condominium, and during her stay in the city she had thought that they'd spend it in some lavish hotel. To her disbelief and utter surprise, Edward had bought them a fifty sixth floored, one bedroom, living, kitchen, balcony, open windowed apartment. They walked hand in hand inside the lavish lobby filled with chandeliers and big couches, both duffel bags in Edward's left hand as his right tugged on Ro's hand who was staggering behind and admiring the view. When she had last step foot in Chicago, there were no fancy buildings and shiny cars and billboards up in the streets. Regardless, the advancements of society was no new thing for her - with all the excessive travelling with her time with the Cullens. But, this was home. And she could barely recognize it. Rowan wanted to know how Edward felt. They were both home, back at their homeplace; years ahead. She was silently processing and staring at the painting behind the lady who was typing away at the computer when the human said, "Right! Mister and Mrs. Cullen. Unit 5618, fully paid for. Would you like someone to bring your bags up for you?" Edward shook his head no, a small smile on his face as his ears picked up on the human's faux kindness. The human was disappointed that Edward was a married man. Ha! If only she knew. Edward squeezed Ro's hands once, before taking the keys from the lady and they went on their way toward the elevator.

"She was checking you out." Rowan huffed as they waited for one of the four elevators to go down. Edward smirked at her statement, "Really? I didn't notice." Ro scoffed, unlacing their hands and chosing to cross her arms instead. "You're a mind reader, Edward. I didn't need to be one to know she was eyeing all over you." Edward nonchalantly shrugged, moving his weight from one foot to another, he can feel both Rowan and the front desk lady's eyes on him and he was cursing the blasted red lighted numbers to go lower. "Eh," He said, moving his eyes from the numbers to Rowan, a cheeky glint in his eyes, "She's not the one I'd fuck against the sheets so loud the whole sixty floors would hear." Rowan gasped and hit the arm carrying both their bags, "Edward!" Apparently, the human desk lady also heard his comment too, as she was blushing when Rowan looked around to see if anyone heard. Before Ro can say anything about it, a soft bell dinged and the metal elevator doors opened, Edward quickly taking Ro's hand in his and pulling her in the empty elevator, the bags dropping to the carpeted small space as the doors closed, anyone from outside could have seen how Edward quickly pushed Ro against the elevator wall and kissed her senseless until they reached the fifty eighth floor. Thank goodness the technicians haven't installed the CCTV in the elevators yet.

words ; 990
status ; unedited