Pressed for the Truth

Start from the beginning

"Great, now you have to move," He scowls. "The DA is going to want you to testify against his dad as a witness and you'll have to tell them that you're the 'missing person' Seaton Black and then guess who's gonna find you, you fucktard!"

"Your insults get better each time I see you, Marlin," Seaton scowls.

My brain races with possibilities. Worked together? Meaning... Seaton was a cop before!? I blink. Well, that explains a lot. I suppose it makes sense. Certain things, like his amazing hearing, his 'no littering' moral code, when he said he'd 'had experience' in matters of abuse... but then, this whole time, an ex-cop has known about... Alfred.

"It doesn't really matter," Seaton shrugged, "My dad's a bastard, but the brat's dad is a criminal. I'm not going to let him get beat up anymore just because I don't feel like confronting 'daddy' about why I got fired and the fact I'm a fag. I'll deal with it."

Wait. Seaton's gay!? I didn't –no, no, no, Jayden! Don't fucking think that way! I can't think there's a remotely higher chance of him ever liking me. I'm not worth it. He deserves better and he could never feel that way. And wait a second –why is Seaton running from his dad? Damn it, this makes everything even more fucking confusing!

"Jayden, on the other hand, is 16-years-old, I won't fucking let those bastards do god knows what to him!" Seaton snarls and feel myself press in the ball behind my, the cool, hard surface pressing into my back.

"Jesus, don't make me out to be the bad guy here," Jacobs shouts angrily, "I'm the one who helped you find a place to move after you were canned from the police force for five counts of brutality! I put my job on the line for you Seaton!"

Seaton just glares for a while at the man, before shifting his gaze to me and then back to Jacobs and sighing, "You're right. And I apologize, Marlin. We'll talk about this more tomorrow, okay? Now...I've got deal with this..."

"Wait, Sea, you said 'bastards' as in plural," Jacobs says suddenly. Huh. I wonder if they even know I'm in the room still. I guess I do fade into the background pretty well. "I've only heard of the dad hurting him."

"Charlie Henderson," Seaton responds in a way that's almost sinister. Jacobs' eyes flash dangerously and he looks at me as though he's only just seeing me. I guess I'm not invisible after all. He takes in my appearance. The ripped shirt, the unzipped pants –and come to think of it why the hell haven't I zipped them up? I do so hastily, flushing.

"You mean..." Seaton nodded in response. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"No, he's here, isn't he, Jayden?" Seaton looks at me. I don't look into his eyes. I pale in embarrassment.

"How do you know Charlie?" I ask softly.

"I'm the one who arrested him five years ago," Jacobs replies and I feel like one of those cartoons that get an anvil dropped on them out of nowhere. "Did you know he went to jail, Jayden?"

What...? What the fuck? What's he acting all kind for all the sudden?

"Yes, sir," I reply.

"And did he tell you what for?"

"...No, sir." I tell him.

"He was molesting three kids at his Middle School," Jacob answers. I flatten my hands against the wall so I don't start to shake. No. No. Charlie wouldn't –Charlie loved me –no he didn't –he did, he said so –but he did try to rape me ten minutes ago –No. More kids? No. No. No. "Two boys and one little girl. Did you know that, Jayden?"

"Why're you telling me this?" I whisper.

"Because, I want you to know you're not alone," Jacob responds. I feel like my veins have suddenly turned to ice. I can't move or breathe.