2: APUKUNA

Image: Chavin ceremonial textile fragment from Peru, 500-300 BCE

Soundtrack: Zandalar Forever by Sam Cardon and Leo Kaliski for World of Warcraft

***

Skye

"It is surreal, isn't it?" I pull my knees to my chest, leaning into Conall's warm body as he wraps his arm around my shoulders. "Being able to shapeshift."

The two of us are squeezed into one of the comfy armchairs in Quinn's farmhouse. The Lìog Airgid had been hiding out at the dragon's farm ever since our search for the lost spirit, Nwyfre. Aelshen and Quinn herself are seated on the loveseat opposite us, while various Lycans and Yeva'si crowd into the living room, curiosity plastered upon their faces.

"When I was small, I thought my parents and I were special. People who could turn into dragons," Quinn says softly. "But I wish we'd been born human. Then they'd still be alive," she says darkly, a tear trailing down her face. "After they were killed in battle, I sold this place and travelled on the money. Then, two decades later, I met the Lìog and decided this'd make a good hideout. Convinced the owners to sell it back to me."

"Convinced?" Ace asks with a chuckle.

Quinn shrugs, giving the goth Lycan a wink. She tucks her shoulder-length dark hair behind an ear and leans back on the sofa without another word.

"Quinn has her ways," Aelshen whispers, grinning behind his thick beard. He lifts a mug of some kind of alcoholic beverage to his lips but then thinks better of it, offering it to Quinn. She shakes her head with a chuckle.

I turn towards the Loch Ness Monster, meeting her gaze.

"Tell us how you came to be, Nessie," I prompt. "I want to know the story of you and Patercius."

In two short hours, Flint and Nessie will be on their way to Peru to gain the aid of the mountain spirits and the Serpientes – Nessie's horde of river monsters. Together, the spirits of Earth will help Patercius remember that he used to be the Sun God, Inti.

"Well," the Mother of the Water begins, "'twas quite a time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday."

"I love a good story," Aelshen says, shuffling to the edge of his seat and staring at the Loch Ness Monster eagerly.

Ace rolls his eyes and Flint peers at his love interest with a great deal of respect; I wonder if he remembers any of this yet or if Nessie's experiences are like new to him.

Elspeth snorts. "I thought it was jokes ye liked best, considering ye are one."

"Shut yer geggy, Mrs. Andarsen, an' let me speak!" Nessie counters, staring Elspeth down. Her lips quirk up at the edges, however.

To her credit, Elspeth releases a chortle. "Could be me own daughter, eh, Ramsey?"

The elderly dragon doesn't reply; he stares ahead blankly as he rests in the crimson armchair, nude from the waist up. The armchair is Elspeth's favourite – she must really feel for her husband if she's willing to give it up.