Chapter 19

"Hey guys, how you feeling?"

It was lunch and I was at school for the day, waiting for my next match tonight. Noya and Tanaka were sitting with a couple other boys from their class. They both looked like they were going to break down, thinking about losing the match, but then there was the fact that I, a girl, was speaking to them.

"We don't want to talk about it," they said together.

I shrug. "Fine with me"

I sat down at a desk next to them. The other guys around them were staring at me wide eyed, surprised I was there. Some guys did tend to get nervous and quiet around me. While others chased after me, aka Tanaka and Noya.

"I heard you made it to the quarterfinals, is that true?" Tanaka asked.

"Yeah"

"You should've seen them. Myra got hit in the face but she took it like a champ"

"I sill have a bruise from that," I mutter.

"Do you think you'll make it to nationals?" One of the boys asks, over their fear of talking.

"Well, we've made it this far but it only means we'll have to work harder," I checked my phone to see my team manager had texted me about the bus getting here early. "Oh shoot, I gotta go. I'll see you guys later. Don't give up just because you lost this time, there's always next time"

"She's so perfect," I heard them sigh as I walked away.

I went to the gym to grab some things I had left there but found Kageyama and Hinata running around, screaming. All the balls were on the floor, no longer in the basket that held them. Hinata finally faceplanted on the ground and Kageyama did a roll, hitting the wall, stuck upside down.

"Wow, you guys really know how to blow off some steam"

"What are you doing here? Didn't you make it to the quarterfinals?" Hinata asks, breathing heavily.

"Yeah, I'm heading over soon, I just needed to grab some things"

"Myra!!" I heard from the doors. Noya and Tanaka were both there, sprinting towards me.

"Agh!" I scream, managing to dodge Tanaka but not Noya. He had run into me, tackling me to the ground. "You literally just saw me! Besides, I don't need anymore injuries, just let go! I have to leave now!"

"Now?" He asked, getting off of me.

"Yes now, the bus came early"

"Good luck, Ace!" The team said, they had all arrived for practice by now.

"God guys, don't make it sound like it's such a big deal," I say, brushing off the dust from my skirt.

"But it is a big deal! You have the chance to go to nationals! Again!" Hinata exclaims, back to his old hyper self.

"Thanks anyway. I'll tell you how it goes, or I guess you'll see it on tv"

I walked out, head hanging low, holding my bag in my hands, taking a couple deep breaths as I went towards the school.

"Myra wait!"

I stopped, lifted my head and spun to see Noya chasing after me. He stopped momentarily in front of me to catch his breath then his cheeks started to turn pink.

"What is it Yū?"

His cheeks darkened at the use of his first name. It seemed to be slipping from my mouth more often now. "Umm," he quickly handed me something, almost making me drop it. It was a picture, one of us from middle school. "G-good luck"

"Thanks," I reply with a smile.

I turned to leave but a volleyball hit me in the back of my head. I fell over, sitting on my butt so I could see the gym door, and found Daichi standing there, glaring.

"What was that for?" I whine.

"To make you realize how important this game actually is. It may not mean a lot to you but it means a lot to the others. Play these games for us, win for Karasuno"

I nod and he smirks, going back to practice. Noya knelt in front of me. I had to look up to see his eyes, he was taller than me in this moment. He looked serious, more serious than I had ever seen him in any game. I waved a hand in front of his face.

"You there?"

He grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers. I look at our hands, a blush forming on my cheeks, and then back to him. He moved his face closer to mine, his lips coming in contact with mine. I sat there for a second then pulled away in shock when realization hit me.

"You win this, for us"

He left with those final words while I was left on the ground, the volleyball Daichi hit me with lying nearby and the photo Noya gave me clutched firmly in my hand. I look back at it, remembering when we had this taken. The wind blew, blowing the picture in my hand, and I noticed something written on the back.

Good luck. Beat your opponents. I believe in you.

And on the very bottom of the picture, a part that was covered by my thumb before I noticed it, was something written in very small writing.

I love you.

My heart skipped a beat. My eyes glanced back up at the gym where I could see Noya focusing on the practice. It was like he hadn't just kissed me and gave me a picture where he wrote a confession.

"Myra let's go! I've been looking everywhere for you!" Harada says from behind me.

"Uh, yeah, I'll be there in a sec!" I shout back, not turning my head.

I heard her huff and stomp up to me. She grabbed my arm, yanked me off the ground, and pulled me towards the bus. Not once did I take my eyes off of the gym.

"You're quiet," she points out.

"I'm just thinking"

"Ooh, is it about a guy?"

"Actually, yeah"

She was astonished that I had actually answered yes. Every other time I was asked about a guy the answer would be no, but for once in my life, it was a yes.