Chapter 18

My third game was finally here. The blood stains were no longer on the court and we were prepared to win. The first set went to us, we were close to winning the second as well.

"Mine!" Harada shouted, going to receive a serve.

I was watching the ball, which was a bad idea I must add, while she bumped it. Instead of sending it over the net it went straight for my face. I can see why, receiving wasn't her strong suit and the girl that served had a pretty hard hit. I fell backwards, hearing my name being shouted around me.

"Myra! Are you alright?" Fujioka asks.

"I'm so so sorry," Harada said.

"It's fine," I waved them all off, wanting them to focus on the game.

When I opened my eyes they were watering, something that normally happened when you get hit in the face with a ball. Noya came over and helped me off the court, holding an ice pack to my right eye when we sat on the bench.

"Kobayashi, you're on"

"Alright"

She ran on to the court, taking my place. I looked at Noya. He seemed worried while he held the ice pack over my eye.

"I-I think I can hold the ice pack"

"R-right, here," I held on to the ice pack and he let go.

"Do you think there's gonna be a bruise?" I ask.

"Well that was a pretty hard hit. But on the bright side it'll make you look even cooler"

I chuckle. "Thanks"

"You were doing great"

"Until I got hit with the ball," I add.

When I looked back to my team I noticed they were all celebrating. We had won. Harada turned and waved me over, a giant smile on her face.

"Go celebrate," Noya told me.

I ran over to my team. They were all excited over the win, it meant we would be moved up to the next round of the competition. When I reached them they all turned to me, standing in a straight line, and bowed. I took a step back, my eyes wide and mouth hanging open at the action.

"Thank you, Myra!" They said in unison.

"U-uh...." I was speechless.

"She means to say thank you for all your hard work," Noya said, throwing an arm around my waist, shaking me to try and snap me out of my state of shock.

"R-right. W-we uh, wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of the work you put in to this sport!"

The girls all squealed and brought me into a group hug, but Noya was still hanging onto me so he was stuck in the middle of it. He seemed to be silently freaking out. I nudged him, making him look up at me, and smile. He smiled back, forgetting about the crowd of girls around us.

The girls finally let go and started heading over to get their things. I noticed Noya still had his arm around me and blushed, clearing my throat to get his attention. He saw what I was silently saying but didn't move his arm, he only wrapped his other arm around me and squeezed tightly.

"You're so cute!" He gushed.

I froze, my cheeks turning even more red. Not as red as after Oikawa kissed me but close to it. The crowd was leaving and my team was congratulating the other on a good game. You know, sportsmanship.

"I need to go see the other team," I tell Noya.

"Alright but don't leave without me, I'll treat you to some ice cream on the way back," he said, a giant smile accompanying his words.

"O-okay"

I don't know why but I was suddenly starting to feel flustered because of him. It felt like the same feeling as when I was around Oikawa. Nervousness. My mind would go blank. I'd freeze. My cheeks would burn.

"So you've finally got a boyfriend," the team captain said coming up to me. "And he's a short volleyball player. Who would've guessed"

"H-he's not my boyfriend"

"Oh yeah? I guess you didn't see the way he was staring at you. If he ain't your boyfriend he sure wants to be"

"Let's just shake hands and go our own ways"

She giggles. "C'mon, Ace, don't go getting shy on me now"

She pulls me in for a hug. This wasn't the first time we had met, we actually knew each other in middle school but we both went to different high schools after graduating.

"It was nice to see you again, Myra"

"You too, Jin"

"Good luck in the next round!" She shouts, running after her team.

"Alright girls, go get some rest, we don't need any injuries tomorrow"

"Yeah there's a limit, one injury per tournament," Watanabe jokes.

"Haha, very funny. Now get your butts out of here"

"See ya, Myra!"

"Don't be late for practice tonight before the next game!"

They all raced out, some skipping happily from the victory, others excited to tell their friends about the win. I spun around, remembering Noya was still there, and saw him staring at me with a small smile. His eyes widened when they met with mine and he sprinted out as fast as he could.

"Get back here shorty!" I shout, sprinting after him. "I need to speak with you!"

"You gotta catch me first!" He shouts back, sticking his tongue out at me.

When I was close enough I jumped, tackling him to the ground. He screamed while he fell to the ground, I only laughed. When he turned around my mind went blank and I froze. I was straddling him, my hands keeping myself from falling completely on him.

"What did you need to talk about?"

"I-I-I can't r-remember"

I scrambled off of him, wanting to get out of there, but he grabbed my hand. My face was hidden from his view. I couldn't have him seeing me this flustered around him of all people.

"You okay?"

I caught my composure and smiled at him, sliding my hand out of his. "Just tired, I'll see you later Yū"

"What about ice cream?"

"Some other time!"

I ran off, silently scolding myself for calling him by his first name and most of all for feeling like this.