Chapter 11

The next time Mom called me the tears she was crying didn't sound to be those of fright and worry. She called with good news, telling me Naoki was awake and he'd make a full recovery, over time. I had been out of school for a week, waiting to hear that news. Noya had visited me a couple times with ice cream and I talked with Oikawa here and there.

"Noya? What are you doing here? I thought you had practice"

"Your backpack"

He had the backpack I left in school in his hand. It was full of my books but inside each of them were all the notes I missed, written by him.

"Thanks. I've got some extra food if you wanted to come in. You're going to need some energy before returning back to practice"

He followed me to the kitchen and sat across from me at the table.

"Thanks, by the way," I say with a yawn at the end.

"Don't worry about it"

We ate in silence for a bit then I brought up another topic. "You must've came for some other reason. Was it because I haven't shown up to any of your practices? I know I promised to help you guys but-"

"We're all fine with it. Well, not so much Hinata, he was looking forward to you teaching him how to jump serve"

"Oh, tell him I'm sorry and I'll teach him some other time"

"I gotta go, thanks for the food"

"No problem, tell the guys I'll be back soon," I said, walking him to the door.

"Bye" he said, slipping on his shoes and leaving.

The next day I decided to get off my butt and do something. I went to the gym where the guys were practicing. They were all shocked to see me there at first but as it sank in to their minds some of them came barreling for me.

"Myra!!" Hinata and Noya shouted in unison, heading straight for me. It looked like hey hadn't expected me back so soon.

I gulped and jumped out of the way just in time, making them both come in contact with the doors. They both shook it off and Hinata dragged me on to the court excitedly.

"Show me how to do a jump serve!!"

"Calm down, I've been gone for a week. It's not like I went missing for a year"

"Please," he whined.

"Fine"

I showed him how to do the jump serve and left him on his own to practice a bit. Ukai called me over to where him, Takeda - the faculty advisor - and Kiyoko were standing.

"I want you to be assistant coach," Ukai told me.

"You're serious?"

"These guys seem to do better when you're around. I don't know if it's having the presence of a volleyball celebrity or what"

"I'm not a celebrity," I mumble. "Sure, I'll do it. But I have my own team I need to captain so-"

"Don't worry, I already spoke to your coach. She said it's fine as long as you don't skip any of your practices"

"Of course she'd agree," I huff, bitting the inside of my cheek.

"Get over here!" He shouted at the boys. "I got something to tell you. Myra is your new assistant coach, listen to what she says!"

"She's our assistant coach?" Kageyama asks unhappily.

"You don't sound happy about that," I say, crossing my arms and narrowing my eyes.

He started to panic. "Uh, n-no it's just... I thought you had your own team to lead"

"You got something against me?"

"He's just jealous of how awesome you are," Hinata said.

Kageyama glared at the orange haired boy who hid behind me at the look he was given. I chuckle, shaking my head at their antics, and Ukai sighed.

"First things first, we need to work on your team work. I understand you all have your own personalities but just because someone makes a wrong move in a game does not mean you can start yelling at them," I tell them, focusing some of my words to Kageyama.

"What do you have in mind?" Ukai asks.

"Team bonding!"

"Are you suggesting a sleepover like what you had with your team?" Asahi asks, not sounding too happy with the words leaving his own mouth.

"You said it, not me," I joke.

All the guys were prepared to yell, not liking the idea of a sleepover, but I put up a hand and shut them up.

"No, you guys wouldn't be interested in telling secrets, having pillow fights and watching horror movies all night anyways. Have any of you played beach volleyball?"

"We're going to the beach?!" Tanaka asks.

"It's an idea"

"I love that idea," Noya says.

"It could help us with our speed and strength as well," Daichi added.

"Exactly. We'll have some games, but friendly ones so no unsportsmanlike attitudes. Now, back to work!"

"Yes ma'am!"

They all went back to the court and started practicing their serves. Balls were flying, some making it to the other end of the court, others being stopped by the net.

"They sure love listening to you," Ukai says.

"It's not like they don't listen to you"

"They look up to you, you've got a reputation. I'm just the grandson of-"

"Exactly, you're the grandson of the old coach, so act like it. You may not be him but you're related to him. Make your grandfather proud for taking over his position"

"Wow"

"Wow what?"

"You really are a good leader," he said with a chuckle.

"Who told you I was?"

"My grandfather"