Chapter 3 - Part 1

Bay

Bay

The next morning I woke up early. It was still dark outside. I lay in bed trying to decide how to keep myself busy so I wouldn't allow Flynn to consume my thoughts. He would be leaving the compound today but he would remain in the area.

I rested the back of my hand on my forehead as I tried to persuade myself that I didn't care. Whether he was here or not, it didn't make any difference.

We had both already agreed that we didn't want any part in our destiny. Our plan of action was to avoid each other but I bet it would be easier said than done.

A quick check to my phone revealed it was just a few minutes after five in the morning. I sat up and swung my legs over the side of my bed. There was no point in staying in bed when I couldn't sleep.

Still attempting to divert my thoughts from Flynn, I went for a shower. Inside the small cubicle, I soaped my body. My fingers trailed over my birthmark on my hip. It was two circles intertwined, which looked similar to an infinity sign. To think the same mark adorned Flynn made me feel a possessiveness I wanted no part in.

Why did it have to be so hard? I let myself feel the anger and the hurt. Leaning my head against the cool tiles, I closed my eyes. For a few minutes I stood unmoving while I wrestled with the emotions tightening in my chest. I exhaled a deep emotional breath, trying to expel the negative feelings so I could carry on without feeling them weighing me down.

This isn't the first time life didn't work out the way you wanted, I told myself. I'd overcome a lot in my life and I wouldn't allow this to make me give up hope that one day I would find someone who could give me the love I was missing.

I let out one last breath and straightened up. I finished up in the shower and got ready for the day ahead.

I decided to go and do some training to pass the time until Flynn left. It would also be a way of trying to work through some of my emotions. I reminded myself to keep my distance for fear of other pack members discovering our secret. I had no idea how people would react if they discovered Flynn was my mate, but I knew there would be some who would find it difficult to embrace. Like my brother.

Even trying to imagine how my overprotective brother would take it increased my nervous anticipation.

The sun was rising, lighting up the sky. If I had been in a better mood I would have thought it was beautiful but I had only one mission and that was to lay low until the Keepers left. And after that, I would figure a way to move forward without a mate.

The gym was well lit so I wasn't surprised when I entered and saw someone already busy lifting weights.

At the sound of my entrance the person who had been in the middle of training stopped.

"Dean," I greeted. He nodded.

I knew him well and we both had dysfunctional families. But his was worse and that was saying a lot. He had left the pack to escape and he had been captured by the Keepers. From what I had gathered, the Keepers were only allowed to eliminate rogues who posed a threat or broke the rules. Apparently defending oneself against a Keeper had broken one of their rules. When Crystal had been taken in by the Keepers, she had rescued him before he had been harmed.