Chapter 1 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

I didn't think there was much worse than parents who weren't capable of loving me, but what had happened with the Keepers had been unexpected and devastating. It had outweighed any emotional pain my parents had inflicted on me.

Logically I knew it wouldn't help but it was difficult to reason with the emotions clouding my judgment. I was used to doing things without thinking and this wasn't much different. My emotions, rather than mindful thinking, pushing my actions.

I looked up to see the sun starting to set. The beautiful colors that painted the sky did nothing to lighten the darkness and hopelessness I felt inside.

It was starting to get dark and I knew I should probably head back but I wanted to spend a few more moments free from the prying eyes of my pack. The constant concerned looks from James, my brother, and Kyle were driving me nuts.

The hairs on my arms lifted and I had a sense I wasn't alone anymore. I strained my ears and heard the softest footstep behind me. Their scent was familiar but it still spelled danger.

I kept rooted to the spot and waited for the unwanted visitor to say something.

"You're hurt." I stilled. The voice was unexpected and unmistakable. My pulse quickened.

I closed my eyes and bowed my head as an emotion I couldn't decipher washed over me, leaving me shaken.

Another footstep closer.

I could sense his presence behind me but I couldn't bring myself to turn around and face him. What was he doing here? I wasn't ready to see him. I didn't know if I ever would be. He didn't touch me but I could feel the warmth of his body behind me.

"Don't," I said, shaking my head. "You can't touch me."

We couldn't cross a line we wouldn't recover from.

"You're mine." His words were clear with no hesitation. I squeezed my eyes tighter. It felt like a knife had embedded in my heart and it was difficult to breathe.

"How long have you known?" I asked softly.

From my initial attraction, I had fought what I felt for him. I honestly thought it was chemistry and nothing more. Like a spark that ignited from one look across a room.

It hadn't taken me long to figure it out: our attraction, combined with the knowledge that Keepers possessed birthmarks like we did. It hadn't been hard to figure out why we had felt such a powerful connection so quickly. The truth was undeniable. We were mates.

It also explained his actions that had saved my life and the people I loved even though it had gone against everything he had believed in.

"Does it matter?" he said darkly.

I'd hoped we could have avoided this confrontation and the pain it brought with it but there was no hiding from it now.

I had to suppress a hysterical laugh. My life had been tough enough with parents who only had enough love for my brother. At first I had fought hard to compete. I'd worked hard at my grades and I had even graduated early. But when it hadn't been enough to change the situation with my parents, I had eventually just given up trying.

The thought that one day I would meet a mate who would be able to give me the love I so badly craved had given me hope when there hadn't been any. Disappointing wasn't a strong enough word to describe the defeated hopelessness I felt when I had figured out who Flynn was.

How was somebody supposed to love me if they hated what I was? I was a werewolf and he'd once referred to my kind as mutts.

"No," I sighed.

None of the details mattered. I had a mate incapable of loving me and there was nothing more to it.

I turned carefully, having the courage to finally face him. The real-life version of him was devastating and I swallowed. He was so close but I was sure not to allow our skin to meet. It was difficult enough to fight without the added connection our destines would provoke.

When my eyes meshed with his, I felt a fire spark in the pit of my stomach. The reaction to seeing him took my breath away. His dark unyielding eyes watched me without revealing what he was thinking. Was he as affected as I was?

"Why are you here?" I whispered.

There was a part of me that wanted his reason to be me, but the other part didn't want me to be the reason for him to be here.

"Harrison has come to talk to Kyle and Crystal," he answered in a low tone.

For a moment while he spoke I allowed myself to take in the image of him. He was tall and towered above me. He wore his signature Keeper uniform of all back, which only reminded me of who he was. A Keeper who believed my kind would be better off dead. It was their job to keep the rogues under control and keep the human race from being harmed from my kind, but their hatred for werewolves had been harnessed with lies.

"Then what are you doing here, with me?" I asked, steeling myself against his response.

He studied me and it took all my control to keep my emotions from playing across my face in full view of his perceptiveness.

"I had to see you."

I shook my head at him as I crossed my arms.

"You have to leave me alone," I whispered.

No one suspected that he was my mate, not as far as I knew, and I wanted to keep it that way.

It was bad enough that people looked at me with a weariness due to my inability to adapt to pack life. I wouldn't be able to stand it if their looks turned to sympathy.

Here he was with me but he might as well have been a world away. What he had been brought up believing went against what he felt for me. He didn't move and my limbs felt like lead. I couldn't leave even though I wanted to.