Chapter Three

"i'm sorry." Enoch says. 

"go tell that to Emma." i tell him. my head snaps to the side as i hear the phone ring. "let's go to the movie room."

we enter the movie room just before the others. Bronwyn and claire sit between me and Enoch. oliver lights the fire before sitting next to millard, emma and jake. hugh, fiona and the twins sit on the floor. horace sits on his chair facing the projection screen. all of us had a cup of hot chocolate.

"yours has extra marshmallows, jake." millard says passing him his mug.

"millard, go put some pajamas on." emma tells him.

"it's too hot in here." millard complains.

"stop moaning." horace tells millard. 

miss peregrine turns off the lights as horace puts on his special lens. a bright light streams from the lens and lands on the white wall. i hear whispers from jake and emma, but i ignore them. 

a scene can be seen with horace and four men, horace in a top hat and suit, checking himself out in the suit. 

"splendid. i'll take it." projection horace says. 

the next scene shows horace meeting jake for the first time. 

the scene then changes to an ymbryne being dragged into a cage by multiple wrights. 

the children all gasp. 

"an ymbryne. who is she?" fiona asks. "miss peregrine, do you know her?"

"don't be silly." hugh tells fiona. "Horace must have just had a bad dream. that's all."

the scene changed again. it was dark and kind of blurry. but two shapes could be made out. a male and a female.

"Amira?" the male calls. it was Enoch.

"amira?"

"amira?!"

"oh my, Amira. no no no, Amira!"

the scene suddenly changes to a static filled screen.

"will?" it was just one voice, one tiny voice, barely heard over the static. 

the scene changed again to emma and jake. they looked like they were about to kiss. most eyes shifted to the real emma and jake. jake sits up and emma looks down as the dream emma and jake are about to kiss.

"aw!" the children cry as miss peregrine turns on the lights. 

"that's quite enough of that. thank you, horace." miss peregrine says as horace takes out his eyepiece. 

"i should probably get going." Jake says setting down his cup of hot coco.

"you could stay the night, if you wanted to." miss peregrine offers, hope shinning from her eyes. "rather then walk home alone in the dark."

"but the island is very safe, isn't it?" emma asks. 

"of course! i only meant the path is dreadfully bumpy. Jake could trip. Perhaps you could show him the shortcuts. should he ever need to avoid bumps."

i tuned out of the conversation as soon as i heard the option of reset. 

even after 22 583 resets i still couldn't handle reset. it reminded me too much of that night. rarely did i ever go out and see it. 

The kids rush out with jake for the reset, i stay behind on the couch. miss peregrine gives me this look, asking me if i was going out tonight. i shook my head. she nods and heads out.

"are you not going out tonight?" i ask enoch.

"no, i'm gonna stay behind this time." he tells me. i scooch over next to him and lay my head on his shoulder, preparing myself for the bombs.

he puts his arm around my shoulders and unconscious rubs his thumb back and forth on my shoulder.

"mom!" 

i hear the planes overhead and i know the bombs are about to start. i close my eyes as a tear falls down my cheek. 

a soft hand then brushes away the tear. i open my eyes as the hand cups the side of my face. i look up at Enoch as i start to hear bombs go off.

"mom, where are you?!"

i nuzzle his hand liking the warmth it gave off. his other arm comes forward and i'm wrapped in an embrace by Enoch. i curl myself into Enoch and hide my face into his neck. his arm rubs my back as i hug him around the waist. i feel his lips kiss my head as i fall asleep.

-----

i hear giggling as i start to wake up. i assume it's the kids as someone shh's them and their little feet run off. 

the hand on my back moves and cups my face. Enoch's thumb rubs my face and i blink, opening my eyes. i go to yawn but halfway through i end up sneezing and launching my head into Enoch's chest. Enoch bursts out laughing and i giggle.

throughout the night we had somehow moved from sitting up to laying down. 

i remove my head from Enoch's chest and look up at him.

"hi." i say.

"hello, love." he says running his thumb across my cheek.

"what time is it?" i ask him.

"about 8 in the morning." he tells me after looking for a clock. 

"miss peregrine must have let us sleep in." i say.

"she probably would have let us sleep in longer if those little runts hadn't waken us up." he says. i nudge him then sit up.

"hey, you love them." i tell him.

"i do." he says sitting up. 

"well, time to get up." he groans. i stand up and pull him off the couch. 

"the sun is up, so we must get up." i tell him. 

"are you always this excited when you wake up in the morning?"

"62 years and you're only now just asking this question."