chapter One

Approx. 62 years later. 

[Amira's POV]

"bloody hell!" Enoch cries as he drops another jar. 

"you sure you don't have any of that pickling substance on your hands? i heard it can be very slippery." i told him smirking as i sat in his chair with my feet on the desk. 

he jokingly glares at me. 

i dramatically roll my eyes and sigh before flicking my finger, piecing his jar back together. 

"the heart is also more fresh now, your welcome." i told him sassily.

"thank you." he says. i chuckle and toss a piece of popcorn in my mouth.

"i don't know how you can stand to eat in here with all these hearts." Olive says disgusted from the doorway. "actually, i don't understand how you can stand to be in here at all." 

her noes pinched upwards at the sight of blood. her reaction is a lot better then it used to be. she used to faint. 

"you get used to it." i tell her. "besides, once everyone you know dies, and then you find out they're still alive, nothing bothers you. also add in the fact that i saw my moms dead body in the town square." 

"i don't know how you can joke about that." Olive says somewhat amused.

"some might say joking is a way to cover up pain." i tell her laughing under my breath. 

"i don't know why i talk to you."

"you don't know a lot of things today." she gives me an unimpressed look, leaving the doorway.

"it's because you love our conversations!" i call out to her.

"debatable!" she calls back. i laugh slightly, amused, before turning and looking at Enoch. 

he looks at me and raises an eyebrow. "why is it that you don't hang around with someone else, say Emma, or Claire, or Fiona-"

"you mean the kids i hung out with when i was five, before i knew you?" i ask cutting him off. he nods. "because they expect me to be the same five year old who had parents, played with dolls and didn't have superpowers."

"peculiarities." he corrects me.

i kick my feet off of the desk and lean forward.

"yeah, but superpowers sound so much better." 

"you still play with dolls." he tells me a moment later after silence.

"i play with your dolls." i tell him smirking. "besides, your dolls are alive and have gladiator fights, to the death. which are the best fights."

"i have to get more hearts today, from the sheep. wanna come?" he asks, looking at his shelf of mostly empty jars.

"okay, but i'm turning my back when you take their hearts. i may be fine with all of this." i say waving my hands around. "but seeing you cut open the sheep is a little too much, even if they come back tomorrow."

he laughs at me.

"stop it." i cry out. 

"stop what?" he asks coming up to me. 

"stop laughing at me!" i cry out giggling.

he smirks at me before putting his hands on my waist and tickling me.

"stop!" i cry out laughing. "no stop it!"

he starts laughing as i wiggle around in his grip. he takes his hands off his waist and put them around my shoulders bringing me into a hug.