Chapter Three

It was Wednesday. I woke up to a very happy bouncing Toby.

“Morning Sissy!! Do you know what today is?” he beamed.

“Hmm let me think” I said as I grabbed him and pinned him down next to me “It wouldn’t happen to be your 6th birthday today would it?”

“Yep” he said still smiling.

“Well then Happy Birthday Toby! I love you little booger” I said as I gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Now, have you told mom and dad what you wanted for your special dinner?”

“Yeah, I told mommy that I wanted ice cream and gummy bears. But she said I had to pick something else. So I told her pizza”. It is tradition in our family that the birthday person gets to choose what they want mom to cook for dinner, and we all stay home and play games and everything.

“Alright little buddy, why don’t you go get ready for school because it is time to get up”.

“Ok sissy see you later” and with that I got up to get ready.

I decided on just a pair of dark wash jeans, black ballet flats and a purple v-neck t-shirt.

Since my little talk with Toby left me a little behind schedule I had to just grab a muffin and a glass of juice and headed out the door.

The girls were driving themselves today, so we decided to just meet up at our lockers. To my surprise there was a very gorgeous looking Jace leaning against my locker when I got there.

“Hey Ava” he greeted me.

“Umm hi Jace, what are you doing here?” I asked as I started to get my things out of my locker.

“Well I just wanted to confirm that we were still on for after school today”. On my confused look he added, “You didn’t forget about me already did you?”

As if I could ever forget about him! “Uh no. It’s just that tonight is my little brother’s birthday, but we can still get together. Did you just want to meet at my house?”

“Hey, Ava?” The girls said in unison as they walked up. I have no doubt that they were very confused as to why Jace was here.

“Yeah I’ll meet you out front after school and follow you there. Later ladies” he said with his signature smirk and went off to join his friend Charlie.

“What was that all about?” Amber finally spoke.

“Nothing. We were just agreeing to meet up to start his tutoring” I explained.

“Ooo, well I think it is just an excuse to get him alone at your house” Amber said.

“Amber! As much as I like him and wish we were together, I am doing this as a favor to Mrs. Henderson. I don’t want her to get in trouble if he fails”.

“Uh, sure well I better head off. I’ll see you two at lunch” and with that she left and headed off to show choir.

“Hi Addie” I said with a smile.

“Hi Ava, are you ready for Toby’s birthday party yet?” she asked as we started walking to class.

“Sort of. We plan to have it on Saturday and it’s going to be a Spiderman theme. I’m picking up the cake Saturday morning. My mom is getting all of the decorations. And my dad is getting him a costume” I finished as we sat down in class.

“That sounds super cute. It will be a great party” she said with a little smile.

“Both you and Amber are invited of course”. She just responded with a huge smile. Both girls love Toby as much as I do.