Chapter 6

***This is only a fan fiction of "Fifty Shades". I do not own the characters but storylines are my own.

***This chapter is not edited. No proof reading. Please ignore the spelling and grammatical errors.

------------------------------------------------------

"No mom! That's not an option. The doctor clearly said that we cannot push her to remember anything. She just got out of coma. Anything that is not normal to her can be fatal for her health. And I can't risk it. I can't risk her."

Christian's voice trailed off. Grace could tell her son was having a hard time. He was supposed to be excited that Anastasia woke up after so long. But then, fate played a cruel game again and though their much anticipated moment had arrived, they didn't know how to react. It was all a mess.

"What are you going to do?"

Grace placed a comforting hand on Christian's shoulder. He squeezed her hand in a gesture of assurance, while the irony was he needed it more than anyone else. He briefly glanced towards Theodore and Phoebe and smiled softly.

He then rose to his feet and headed towards Anastasia's cabin. The doctor had told him time and again that it was of no use. And though he was convinced, he knew he had to give it a try. Cause it was worth the shot.

***

"How are you feeling now Miss Steele?"

Anastasia was quite surprised that the doctor was finally concerned with her health. She gave a half smile as she replied

"Why, thank you! I am feeling much better than I was when I woke up."

The doctor returned the smile but he still seemed to be deep in thought. Anastasia wondered why. The nurse had told her earlier that she had been in an accident and later went into coma and she had been in coma for months. She was also told that her family knew she was admitted at the hospital. But were they informed that she was awake now?

"Umm I just had to ask, did you tell my parents or my roommate-"

She was cut in the middle as a man entered the room.

***

Christian

God she looked so beautiful! Like an Angel. I didn't know how Angels looked. But surely not as beautiful as my Ana. She looked breathtaking. Even with her messy hair, with dark circles around her eyes and pale cheeks, she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. And I was very sure that she was going to be the last.

The moment she looked up at me, I forgot to breath. I was caught in the swirling storm of her gaze. She looked tired but her eyes were full of life.

She just looked at me. And I stared back. And the awkward silence seemed to stretch for longer than usual, when Doctor Anderson spoke.

"Um Mr Grey, hello.."

He looked like he didn't know what to say. I don't blame him because I didn't either. If the circumstances were different I would have laughed at the situation. I can already picture if this was a tv show and I was watching it, before I could bring myself to feel sorry for the male lead, I would have laughed at the irony.

But this wasn't a story. This was my life. My life that was meaningless without the woman staring blankly at me. And I didn't find myself amused at the slightest bit. It was the worst joke that my life could have played on me.

I gathered all the strength left in me and uttered the words.

"How are you feeling now Miss Steele?"

And heaven knows that's not what I wanted to say. Not at all. Those are not the words I wanted Ana to hear first after she woke up. The words that I meant to say however, didn't fit in.

I wanted to say how happy and relieved I was to see her awake. I wanted to hug her and kiss her till we both were out of breath. I wanted her to know how miserable I was without her. I wanted to say sorry thousands of times that I didn't want how things happened. That I couldn't hate myself more for the messy shadows of my past that still haunted us. I wanted her to know that she meant the world to me and that my life sucked without her. I wanted to tell her that I would die if anything like this happens to her again. I wanted her to know how much our kids missed her and how our family fell apart. I wanted to tell her how happy they would be to see her awake. I wanted to hold her close, rest my forehead on hers and say 'I love you'.

But I couldn't. And heaven knows it hurt so much that it almost killed me.

Doctor Anderson looked a bit surprised. I gave him a meaningful look and he seemed to get my message. He nodded and turned back to Ana who was still looking at me with confusion.

God! I wanted to scream "Ana it's me! It's me Christian! Your Christian." And it took me all of my strength to hold myself back.

Time will come. You have waited this long. You can wait a bit longer. Till she remembers loving you.

Yes. I can wait. I have to. I have been patient all this time. And I'll have to be patient for a little longer. And I knew that little longer could mean forever. But with Ana, even forever wasn't enough.

I remembered our vows. I said I would love her as long as we both shall live. In this moment, I felt how wrong that was. For my feelings for her had grown so overwhelmingly that I found that wasn't enough. I loved her beyond imagination, beyond I was capable myself. I didn't even know if that was possible. But that's how I felt. And with that in my mind, I once again forced the words out of my mouth.

"You work in my office. I am your boss. And.."

I found myself at loss of words. I didn't know why it was so difficult.

"I just.. I am glad you are okay and I hope you'll be able to resume your job soon."

I avoided eye contact. I had a feeling she would know I was lying. I just glanced at her for a brief moment to see her still confused demeanor and awkwardly left the room. I felt all the energy drain out of me. As I closed the door, I dropped to the floor, my head hung low.

I felt mom embracing me. I gripped onto her and cried.

"I can't do this mom. I can't."

She didn't say anything. Probably because she knew that words had lost their power to heal my pain. I had lost the battle. But probably it was just the beginning.

————————————————