“Oh honey, you look absolutely beautiful,” my mom gushed as I entered the kitchen.

She actually clapped her hands together.

“Let’s not get so overly dramatic,” I replied hesitantly as she came over to me and took my hands in hers. Were those tears in her eyes? She didn’t even cry when she found out I aced all my AP classes freshman year.

“Mom…” I grumbled, unable to deal with her enthusiasm.

“I can’t help it.”

I looked over at Teddy and tried to change the topic. “You look good, Teddy.” I walked over and gave his shoulders a tight squeeze.

He quickly rose from the bar stool he was sitting on and gave me a full look over.

“Honestly, you look amazing,” he said as he scrutinized my face. “Are you wearing makeup?”

“No,” I said too quickly. I tried my hardest not to blush.

“Yes, you are.” It was like a kid brother pointing out the obvious.

“Well, just a little, what’s the big deal?” I replied defensively.

“That’s a surprise,” my father said stating the obvious.

“Why is it a surprise?” I asked. “I always wear makeup when I’m going out on the weekends.” That was a lie; Teddy’s snort of laughter said as much.

“Since when do you go out, dear?” he teased.

“Since tonight.” I couldn’t keep the attitude out of my voice. “And don’t worry, I’ll try not to make a habit of it.”

“Oh honey, don’t tease her. I honestly wish you would make a habit out of it, Caroline!” My mother laughed. “We just want you to have fun sometimes.”

Wow. My parents wanted me to have fun. I guess I was more of a nerd then I originally thought. I quickly realized that this conversation could only go from bad to worse.

I tugged at Teddy’s arm, so that we could get out of there. The quicker we left, the quicker we would get home. This evening was already turning into a night of inquisition. He took the hint and shook my dad’s hand as I gave my mom a quick hug goodbye.

The evening air was brisk and slightly cooler than the other nights had been that week. But the chill felt good. I knew that my face would be turning many shades of red tonight, so anything to cool the heat would be welcomed.

I skipped down the stairs leading to my house and headed out to Teddy’s car.

“You really do look great,” Teddy said with an admiring smile.

“Thanks, maybe Tatiana has a cousin,” I laughed.