The Highway Fight

We made our way back to D.C. Steve did his best with the... Bomb... Episode... He was so focused on saving us from the falling rubble he wasn't focused on... Because I know that if we weren't there he'd be... You know.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" he asked. I sent him a small smile, which he returned. "You know what it reminded me of?"

I shook my head. "The crash."

I forgot that would be his most traumatic experience. Brushing hands with death. "Just the noise and the... You know."

And unfortunately, I do know.

"I just wanted to remind you that you can talk to me," Steve said, glancing over. He does these little things that just make it seem like he cares. Taking his eyes off the road for a few moments, reaching for my hand, toying with my hair... These little things are calming and he knows it. And I appreciate it. "If anyone understands, it's me. And if you don't want to talk to me, you have the other MUTTs. You have Emerson."

I glared at him, too emotionally drained to do anything else. We got to Sam's place. However the hell Steve got it. After we woke Nat up, we found his place. He opened the door, surprised at our random appearance. "Hey, guys..."

"I'm sorry about this," Steve apologized. I gave him a sympathetic smile. "We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Nat muttered. 

"Not everyone."

He let Steve and Natasha sort themselves out. I talked with Sam while making breakfast. I left a pistol on the counter. "Yeah, what the hell?"

"XHR Protocol."

"And that means... ?"

"That she was a victim of mind-melting brainwashing." I turned to find a familiar face in the kitchen. "I'm late for work so I have to bounce."

"Jess, this is-"

"The S.H.I.E.L.D. therapist."

"You really never forget a face."

"You two..." I continued to stare at Dr. Wilson. "You're brother... It's him?"

"Unfortunately."

"Do you two... Know each other?"

"Yes. She's one of my first cases with them." She grabbed keys from a drawer. "And would you care to explain why S.H.I.E.L.D. fugitives are in the house?"

I cursed in Russian. "How do you know?"

"They asked me to work with you and your brother once they brought you in- What's going on?"

"Aren't you late?" Sam snapped at his sister, giving her that trademark Sibling Look. Dr. Wilson sat down, bending over to grab something on the floor. There was a clicking noise and then she straightened up, an object was dropped on the counter with a thump.

"Problems with my prosthetic."

"You were medically discharged."

"I'll... Uh... Leave you two to it," Sam muttered, walking out of the kitchen as I continued breakfast.

"What's going on at S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

"Hydra... They..."

"Reemerged?"

"More like leeched off of S.H.I.E.L.D." She knew more about me than anyone at S.H.I.E.L.D. Scary, yes. But she seemed... I don't know... Trustworthy. I explained what we learned. "The world's going to know me for me."