Naomi spun around in realization. "Did you ask Emily to the gala yet?"

Kyle shook his head,"I didn't get a chance to yet. So much shit happened and I don't know... isn't it kind of expected that we go together?"

Candace and Naomi shook their heads furiously. "Kyle Duncan, don't be an idiot. Ask her now or forever hold your peace," said Naomi. "And Brent, I hope you asked Candace already?" Naomi raised a brow expectantly.

Brent's face immediately turned sour. Candace smiled weakly and went to tap his back awkwardly.

"I am going with James. He's one of my good friends from the music club," said Candace uncomfortably. "We agreed months ago."

"Whoa, James? He's a cutie," said Naomi deviously as she gauged Brent's stony expression.

"The early bird does get the worm," said Kyle deviously.

"Isn't James a Grammy winner?" Asked Naomi.

"He was nominated for 4 and he won once," said Candace.

Brent's face fell even more.

"That doesn't mean we can all hang out there though," chirped Candace. She said as she patted Brent's back some more. Changing the subject quickly, she asked Naomi who she was going with.

Naomi grinned widely, "One of the boys I met from Rosewood. He's the captain of the swim team."

Candace beamed, "oh that's fantastic Naomi. Cedric right? Doesn't he qualify for the Olympics?"

"That's what I've heard," Naomi giggled.

"Would you like it if I joined the swim team, Candace?" Pouted Brent.

Candace turned cherry red and Brent started laughing. "I'm kidding. Can you help me out with this tie?"

Candace stepped up gingerly and started unraveling what he had done. She deftly tucked it in and slid it up his neck. Brent looked away trying to mask his smile behind coughs.

"Don't they look like a married couple?" Whispered Naomi loudly to Kyle. Kyle nodded enviously, "that should be me and Emily."

"Shut it," muttered Brent.

"I like this color on you," Candace beamed. She straightened the tie. "The blue makes your eyes pop."

Naomi and Kyle cracked up when Brent immediately called for the sales associate. "I'm getting this one," he said.

XX

Emily yawned as she flipped to the next page in her psychology textbook. She was sitting behind the counter at her part time job at the convenience store. Since she worked the evening shift, the store tended to be less busy since most students were back home. Hence, she was using the time to catch up on her reading. They were currently studying Maslow's hierarchy of needs. According to Maslow, there were 5 things that all humans needed - and that some needs take precedence over another. He stacked those 5 into a pyramid. The base of the pyramid was physical needs: food, water, air, sleep. The second part of the pyramid was safety - a house, security, law and order. The the next layer was love and belonging - a community, friendship, love, family. The next layer was self esteem, confidence, and respect from others. The final and top part of the pyramid was self actualization. This was the pinnacle of your need, the point in your life where you have the ability to fulfill your fullest potential - be the best version of yourself.