7th Birthday

Lucy stood straight, a golden key in her hand. For the first time ever, the girl looked serious and determined.

"I am linked to the path to the world of Celestial Spirits, now! O spirit, answer my call and pass through the gate!"

The key twinkled, but aside from that nothing happened, causing Lucy to flush in embarrassment.

"I failed...."

Layla shook her head before giving Lucy an encouraging smile. "The same thing happened to me when I first started out."

"Really?" A hopeful look and then a bright smile before she looked at her sister. "You hear that Lily?"

"Well, I am standing next to Mother." Lily deadpanned taking a step forward. "My turn." She didn't even care about how arrogant and confident she sounded. She has always been better at Lucy in everything they did. This time would surely not be any different than all the other times.

Her posture was calm as she held the key of the water bearer in front of her.

"I am linked to the path to the world of Celestial Spirits, now! O, spirit, answer my call and pass through the gate!"

A beat.

Nothing.

Not even a twinkle.

Refusing to believe the implications, Lily repeated the chant. "I am linked to the path to the world of Celestial Spirits, now! O spirits, answer my call and pass through the gate!"

A feeling of dread washed over Lily. In theory, anyone can use Holder Magic. Even if they didn't have the affinity for the particular magic, they would still be able to feel magic coursing through them. Only those who can't use Magic feels nothing.

Lily felt nothing.

She glanced at her mother.

"Whichever shows the most talent in it." Layla said with a sad smile.

Realization dawned her and she dropped the key as if it burned her.

Ignoring Lucy's concerned shout, she bolted.

"Lili!" Lucy called after her sister, moving to follow.