Chapter 9

Playlist for this Chapter

John Legend - All of you

Little Things - One Direction

Chapter 9:
I stood on the roof of the Paul's residence as I was gazing at the September midnight sky that shined with bright diamonds spreading its beauty across the universe. It was mesmerizing captivating and breath taking, I never felt so free just by watching the beautiful infinite sky with my best friend.

"A shooting star, make a wish." Mandy yelped as she closed her eyes to make a wish for herself.

For a second I didn't know what to wish for, I never knew what I really wanted until I had met Zayn, until I felt special because of him. How could one person make you feel so dearly valuable when all he ever did was appreciate the little things with you? So was this how it always went, little over big? I was never able to explain such a phenomena; never.

"What did you wish for?" I asked Mandy but she refused to answer me, she had always believed that if she told her wish it wouldn't work, ever again.

"I won't say or It won't happen Ray, you know it." She winked and then smiled at me. Her voice was full of confidence that I never had whenever I spoke my mind or tried to expose the cards on the table. I was never able to understand her confidence; she was beautiful with long blonde hair and grey blue eyes that charmed every person that said hello to her.

  I wasn't really insecure, I just never had the courage to speak up or state my opinion.

"Suit yourself, unlike you I did not wish for anything."

"Ray, you really should change a little." She huffed.

"What do you mean?" I widened my eyes; I wasn't able to understand what she truly meant.

"Your language. Your contractions. I mean it's okay if you say you're and didn't and won't. No one will judge how you talk except for your parents and you shouldn't let them control you, sweetheart." She bluntly said, seemingly irritated.

I wasn't able to figure out what was more shocking. The fact she had told me that I should have fixed the way I spell did not and will not or she actually called me sweetheart?

"You sound like Zayn. Except, he will not mention the fact my parents are taking control over me." I sighed. I was hurt, with a dash of disappointment. I never expected Mandy to vent this way, or what seemed to be like it.

"Look, I'm sorry." She scooped closer to me. I watched her wrap her arms around my neck and hugged me tight before I unwillingly grabbed her hand to reach for the comfort I sort of needed at that moment. "I just don't want you to try to be perfect by the way you speak. I mean, your personality is already amazing to make you look perfect to others ... and Zayn's right about commenting on the way you talk. You're like a Nazi." She chuckled.

She was right; everything she said was right. I guess perfection according to my parents was related to what the eyes saw and not what the heart had felt.

"Don't be sorry. I know you want what's best for me and sometimes I wish I was like you Mandy. You're brave and confident about everything you do and say." I felt myself getting lost in my own thoughts as they ingested every molecule that had surrendered for the captivating view that laid above our heads. The sky.

"What do you mean, Ray?" She asked, then she straightened her back to adjust her position.

"Well, you know what I mean. Just look at you, Mandy!" I pointed at her. She really didn't know what she meant to me. Mandy was the sister I always needed in my life, to guide and protect me. She had an elder sister, Allison, that was 4 years older.