|| The Life We Were Sadly Given ||

Start from the beginning

" You know I'd offer to clip your dinner but you seem pretty miserable already." Steve said walking into the room more with Serenity. Natasha wiped all her tears away quickly before smiling more for Serenity's sake then for Steve's.

" You here to do your laundry ?"

" No. Don't forget it's our special girl's birthday." Steve said causing the smile to appear on Natasha's face while she got up. Serenity smiled and walked over receiving a big hug from Natasha.

" That's right. Happy birthday beautiful. God, I feel so old looking at you."

" Thanks Aunt Nat."

" Here. I got you this." Natasha said pulling a birthday bag from under her chair and smiled. Serenity opened it to see it was a ring. Steve recognized the ring and tried to fight the tears.

" It's so beautiful."

" It's your mother's." Natasha said seeing Serenity look up to her surprised." It was the promise ring Steve gave her for Christmas. I found it in one of the box's Tony had taken from the Avengers Tower a long time ago. When I found it, I knew it had to go to you."

" Thank you. This means a lot." Serenity said before the sound of her phone ringing caught her attention." It's Uncle Mason. He must want to say Happy birthday. I should go to the kitchen."

" Of course. I got your favorite food and even made a cake for you." Natasha said seeing Serenity smiled and went the way. Natasha sat back down seeing Steve come over and sit in front of her.

" Thank you for giving the ring to Serenity."

" Daniella would have wanted me to." Natasha said seeing Steve nodded.

" You know I saw a pod of whales when I was coming up the bridge."

" In the Hudson ?" She questioned.

" There's fewer ships, cleaner water-"

" You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side." Natasha said tilting her head and looking over to her plate." Um... I'm about to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich."

"Sorry. Force of habit." Steve said before nodding and seeing behind Natasha was a picture of all of them during Daniella's 20th birthday party. They all looked so happy not knowing years later their lives would be ripped away." You know I keep telling everybody they should move on and... grow. Some do. But not us. I can't move on without her."

" If I move on, who does this ?" Natasha said looking down to the paperwork in front of her.

" Maybe it doesn't need to be done."

" I used to have nothing. And then I got this." Natasha said smiling and looking over see Serenity in the kitchen smiling while eating the meal Natasha got her." I got her. This job. This family. And I was...I was better because of it. And even though...they're gone...Now, I'm still trying to be better."

" I think we all need to get a life."

" You first." Natasha said smiling to him slightly. A call came in so Natasha look up and swiped her hand across believing it to be one of the Avenger members or a government official." I got it."

" Oh... Hi. Hi ! Is anyone home? This is Scott Lang." They saw and stood up looking as if they seen a ghost." We met a few years ago, at the airport ? In Germany ? I got really big and I had my mask on. You wouldn't recognize me."

" Is this an old message ?"

" Ant-Man ? Ant-Man, I know you know that."

Natasha shook her head looking to Steve." It's the front gate."

The minute they allowed Scott in, questions were made. The hope in everyone's stomach was growing more and more seeing the man in front of them. Scott only entered the living room pasting back and forth. Serenity looked to the man wanting to know more and if her mother was back since Scott was.

" Scott... are you okay ?"

" Yeah. Have either of you guys ever studied quantum physics ?" Scott asked seeing the row of disagreement.

" Only in mid-conversation." Natasha answered.

" Alright. So...eleven years ago, right before...Thanos, I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small. Hope, she's my...She...she was my." he squared off before coming back to reality." She was supposed to pull me out. And then Thanos happened, and I got stuck in there."

" Sorry. That must've been a long eleven years."

" Yeah, but that's just it." Scott said seeing their confused faces." It wasn't. For me it was eleven hours. See, the rules of the quantum realm aren't like they are up here. Everything is unpredictable. Is that anybody's sandwich ? I'm starving."

Steve turned following the man." Scott. What are you talking about ?"

" So... What I'm saying is... Time works differently in the quantum realm. The only problem is right now, we don't have a way to navigate it. But what if we did ? I can't stop thinking about it. What if we could somehow control the chaos, and we could navigate it ? What if there was a way that we can enter the quantum realm at a certain point in time but then exit the quantum realm at another point in time ? Like... Like before Thanos."

" Wait, are you saying we can get my mom back ?" Serenity asked walking into the room more and looking to the man with hope." We can basically go back and save her ?"

" No. No, of course not. No, not a time machine. It's more like a... Yeah, a time machine. Who are you ?"

" She's my daughter." Steve answered seeing how shocked Scott was.

Steve nodded his head knowing the last time Scott had seen her, she was actually still inside of Daniella. Scott shook his head and looked back to everyone.

" Listen, I know it's crazy. It's crazy. But I can't stop thinking about it. There's gotta be... Some wa... It's crazy."

" I get e-mails from a raccoon. So, nothing sounds crazy anymore." Natasha replied.

" So who do we talk to about this ?" Scott asked. Serenity and Steve looked to each other before she looked over to Scott nodding her head.

" My Grandpa."