"You need to distract yourself," Diane said. "It sucks that our private research of our pasts is kinda stagnating wight now. We can't move forward without Cassandra's flash disc which was stolen."

The girls already tried to find more about the thief. They searched the whole flat, especially the living room where Alexis put the disc. They even asked Dante to track the thief. The dog just kept running around, wiggling his tail, like there was no smell unfamiliar to him. There were also no traces on the windows and the main door lock was undamaged. It all seemed like a perfect crime.

Their first and only suspect was chairman Sullivan, Cassandra LeFevre's former boss. However, the man was too old and chubby to do the job alone and if he hired a thief, there was no way to prove it. Other than him, there was seemingly nobody who could be interested in stealing the data. But like Cassandra said, they could never know who's operating in the background... and how dangerous they are.

They had long talking sessions with Cassandra who tried to recall as many as she could. She could name several victims, places and most important events, but it didn't help the girls much. The people he killed were mostly long forgotten, without any connection with the present.

"Maybe we should ask more people about him," Diane hinted.

"Which ones?" Alexis mumbled. "We tried everything."

"I know someone who's old enough to remember all these events in vivid details. Someone we haven't asked yet. And I don't understand why."

"Do you mean Father?" Alexis said. "You know how secretive he is when it comes to our past."

"Maybe he won't tell us about our mother," Diane replied, "but maybe he knows something interesting about Arlington. We should at least try. You also need some connection with the outside world! Look at yourself. No offense, sis, but right now, you look like an easy girl who spent the night at the bar, got plastered and spent the night with a complete random dude."

"That was rude," Alexis said. "Rude, but also true. Damn, I let myself go lately. You know... there's nobody I should look good for."

"And what about all these years before dating Annie?"

"If I take a shower, get dressed and do my hair, would it be enough for you to be quiet?"

<<>>

Two hours later, they found Ignatius Warren, as usually, in his underground church. He smiled at the sight of girls, his deep wrinkles giving away his advanced age. "Alexis, Diane," he said. "Good to see you. My head hurts today, but you can always improve my mood. Are you feeling better, Alexis? Does it still hurt?"

Warren was already aware of the breakup. He was the first person Alexis confided about her lost love. While every other priest would victoriously announce that sinful relationships have no chance to last, Warren just hugged his adoptive daughter and consoled her.

"It does," Alexis said, "but I try to overcome it. We are here to talk and maybe have some tea. You know... during one of our recent cases, we heard an interesting name. Chance Arlington."

She tried to notice any emotion in Warren's face. The priest only slightly raised his eyebrows.

"We learned he was the King, the legendary killer. I think it's amazing since we always thought it's just an urban legend," she tried to sound sincere, trying to hide their true intentions. "Do you know anything more about him? We are curious."

They expected Warren to either refuse to speak or give them some vague answers, but the man sat down on one of the pews (the girls sat next to him) and started to speak.

The Sisters: The Curse of Gabriel's GardensOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara