Maybe she just said that to cheer me up.

"Thanks," I said.

"Well," she breathed and gave a nervous laugh. "I'm surprised you don't wear that lesbian lingerie."

"What is lesbian lingerie?"

"Oh! Well, welcome to America," Piper said and grinned sideways at me. "I was referring to flannels. I've heard lesbians love flannels and beanies and sandals to death. It's like lingerie to them, isn't it, Nina?"

I looked at Piper in disbelief and for a moment, I was trying so hard not to strangle her with the seat-belt.

At last, we reached our school none too soon.

The campus was bigger than I expected. New shiny Jeeps, and Porsches were common in the student lot—obviously a school for rich kids. Piper cut the engine as soon as she found a space.

Piper had given me a map of the buildings and told me everything that I needed to know. It would have been nice of her if I hadn't figured out that just so I wouldn't have to bother her again.

"See you after school," she said and walked away quickly.

I saw a group of girls standing by the entrance's staircase. They waved at her to join them.

I sighed and stuffed everything in my bag then slung the leather strap over my shoulder. Inhaling the fresh morning air, I convinced myself that no one was going to accuse me of being a Russian spy or worse bully me for being gay.

Skirting around the main building, I found another double glass doors and slipped inside. When the bell rang with a nasal buzzing noise, I walked to the registrar office. There was a tall boy with clear skin and oil slick black hair in front of me at the counter. I walked up and talked to a young woman behind the computer screen. The woman told me to wait and left the desk for a moment, and while I waited for my papers to be signed, the guy turned to me.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around here before?" he said overly friendly. The guy towered over me with his tall muscular body. I wore a low cut t-shirt and had to hold my document papers over my chest. With a dry smile, I shook my head back.

The woman gave me the slips.

"Oh, you're new, I see," the guy said. "Well, I can show you to your class if you'd like. What's your first period?"

Because I was new and hated being late, I had to agree.

"Mmm, Advanced Language Arts, Room 102, Building C," I said as I read through my schedule.

"Cool, I'm going to the same building," he said. "I could show you the way."

"Thank you." I smiled and we began to walk.

"I'm Jack Connor by the way," he said and when I didn't say anything back, he added, "And you are—?"

"Oh," I breathed. "I'm Nina Volk—er—Nina Black."

It felt sort of weird saying my new name out loud for the first time, but I figured my former name would sound even weirder. I guess I wanted to be a new person now, and Pytor's name just didn't feel like mine anymore.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Jack nodded at a group of guys hovering around on the other side of the hall. They chuckled and hooted among their peers.

Everything looked like it was coming straight out of a typical American movie—a typical American high school with janitors and students roaming the halls, talking through the corridors by their glossy red lockers. It was different from my old school back in Russia. Students wore whatever they wanted here whereas I had to wear my uniform. The energy was also different. I couldn't tell whether the place was depressing or exciting.