Chapter 1 ~ Rebecca

Fair warning to new readers: my characters are not always easy to understand. If you want to better understand or get to know them I have a story on my profile that explains every character that's important or requested from any story I've written. Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey everyone!" Veronica Queen, the queen bee of Brixton High School, yelled to the student body making them silence any conversation they were having. "Here comes Hoodie Girl!" She announced with an evil witch cackle. Here we go again.

She struts over to me, with her min-I mean 'friends', in tow. I pull my hoodie further over my face and tighten it so she can't pull it back. As usual, she tries to pull it back and fails. So, Veronica resorts to insults. "Oh, you should probably hit the gym, Hoodie Girl." She cackles. "I think you've gained some weight." She says, her gum makes a smack sound from inside her mouth.

Her and her minions laugh at their 'hilarious' joke. RING!!! Saved by the bell. I hurry away, and to AP History. I walk into the brightly lit classroom and the dark, back of the room starts to call my name, it always does.

I quickly take my seat as the teacher walks in and begins writing on the whiteboard. "Good morning AP History!" She, a woman in her late twenties, greeted us in a cheery, upbeat voice. "My name is Miss-" and a Greek god walked through the fake wood door.

He had windswept black hair that looked like it hadn't been combed in ages. A muscular body showed he worked out a lot. A devious smile said 'he's trouble', and his icy green eyes looked like they held every demon ever imagined and more. "Good morning Mr. Ross, please, take a seat." Miss something says to him.

I mentally groan, now realizing who he is. Kyler Ross, this small town's very own bad boy. He has a horrible personality (from what I've heard) and the most troublesome rumors to match. Now, depending on how you look at it, will make them seem horrible or just trouble. In my eyes, he's just trouble.

The chair to the desk beside me scraped against the tile floor as someone plopped down next to me. "Hi." The person said. The voice was deep and husky. I just pull my hood down over my face as far as it would let me. "Oh, you're not very talkative." The voice said, starting to become more familiar with every word, "Are you, Hoodie Girl?"

Fuck. I know who the voice belongs to, and it's no one good. It belongs to Kyler fucking Ross. I turn to face the bad boy and send him one of my 'oh-so-famous' glares. "Damn Hoodie Girl, you've got a killer glare!" He said, impressed. Of course, I do, I think. It usually keeps people like you away.

He starts talking again, but I quickly press play on my phone and music blasts in my earbuds. My only, and favorite playlist, play. The playlist consists of:

How to Save a Life by The Fray

Let Her Go by Passenger

Her Last Words by Courtney Parker

Demons by Imagine Dragons

You Don't Know What It's Like by Katelyn Tarver

Baby Don't Cut by B-Mike (Nightcore Version)

They're my favorite songs and remind me of my life in some way, or one of my fantasies. The bell rings soon enough and I head to my next class, which is Honors English. I sit in the back yet again and guess who sat next to me...again. That's right! Kyler Ross sat next to me. "We meet again, Hoodie Girl," Kyler says with a smirk. I roll my eyes and are about to blast my music when the teacher announces something very important.

"For the first three weeks of this semester, you'll be working on a project with someone else so you can get to know each other. I am going to assign each of you a partner to do a project with someone that seems the complete opposite of yourself, and you each have to make a poster or an essay on that person. One of you could do a poster and one could do the essay, or you both could do one for each of you." Ms. Lindy announced before picking up a clipboard and pen. "Now, I'll announce your partners."

"Kylie and Mark. Jackson and Jammie. Belle and Hector. Helen and Paris..."

I zoned out for a while until she got to the last for students in the class. Me, Hannah, another senior boy, and Kyler. "Hannah and Angelo." Oh no, that means... "Kyler and Hoodie Girl." I've asked the teachers to call me that, the fewer people that know my real name, Rebecca Rose, the better. "Please sit next to your partner and take the remainder of the class to ask each other questions and discuss the project."

I didn't have to get out of my seat, I only had to turn to face Kyler. "You ask a question first." He said with a smirk. I nod and open up my notebook. He gave me a confused look as I write. Finally, I show him.

'Favorite color?'

"Alright, are you going to talk?" He asks. I shake my head. I haven't talked in public or when not needed to since I was 14 when she left. "Okay, black or blue. What's your favorite color?" He answers.

'Silver or grey. Any siblings?'

"Yeah, I have three little sisters that mean absolutely everything to me, making me the oldest. How about you?"

'I did...'

"Oh...What happened to them?"

'I'd rather not say. Any hobbies?'

"Yes. I like playing video games and racing. What about you; any hobbies?"

'Does reading count?'

He chuckles and an amazing laugh. No wonder the girls think he's hot. "Yes, it does." He answers.

'Oh, good. Favorite subject and least favorite subject?'

"No favorite subject and all of them for the least favorite subject, other than lunch." He answers with a smirk and a thoughtful, but ridiculous look on his face. I do one thing I never thought I would ever do again, laugh. I gave a small laugh and he looked surprised for a moment before a wide smile spread across his face.

'Same as you for subjects.'

"You don't even like lunch?" He asks with another surprised look on his face, only, this time, it's sarcastic.

'Nope.'

"Why not?"

'I don't eat.'

That's true. I don't eat. I, maybe, eat every once and a while, but it's rare since I don't have the money to. The bell rings and I hurry out of the classroom, but not before I write one more thing onto the paper.

'Bye Kyler Ross.'

"Bye Hoodie Girl!" He yells after me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This has been edited 4/18/19. If I missed anything else, comment where and let me know what. I always appreciate the help. Bye! ~Em