05 | Accidental.

"Life asked death, 'Why do people love me but hate you?' Death responded, 'Because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth." —Author unknown

3 Weeks after the accident

Nowa

So this was death, huh? I didn't know what I had expected... I was stuck in this weird darkness, hearing phantom voices and sounds all around me. I felt like I was underwater, the noises muffled, but if I concentrated I could make out what was said.

"... Why didn't you tell me. you are my husband after all so why don't you protect me for once? This nonsense will never happen on my dead body this will ever happen to my sister ?"

The voice was low, almost hissing, and most definitely upset. It reminded me of my sister's voice.

I wondered how she was reacting to the news about my death. Was she sad? Did she cry? Most likely not, my sister wasn't the crying type.

"It's not a big deal. She will only be living with your uncle who is just a street away and your step mother will live with her sister.... So just relax, okay? Can you blame me, after everything your stepmother and your sister has put my family thought ? I mean who chasses her step daughter with a knife and makes her move out of the house. By the way ,This isn't the first time your sister has pulled a stunt like this... and she almost succeeded in killing herself this time. When will you open your eyes and see that your sister is not well?"

Okay, I guess I wasn't dead, because I could recognize that voice anywhere,and that was my brother- in-law voice. My dumb ass brother in law.

"Rayan, she was hit by a car! It was an accident! She was not trying to kill herself. She is not sick! And we both know that. So don't you dare put any blame on my sister; she's the victim here. All right?"

I wanted to smile at my sister's sad attempt to defend me. Maybe she cared more than she had let on when I was alive. Maybe that was why I was hearing this now... maybe I was supposed to know what they really thought about me, before I moved on to a better place.

"Oh please, Dana, you are so blind. Ever since she came to live with us, I could tell something was wrong with her. And I tried to explain to you, but you only have to open your freaking eyes, to see it, your sister is not well."

Someone cleared their throat.

"Salam Dana, How is my niece doing ? did you talk to the doctors"

I stopped listening after that. My head was starting to hurt, along with other parts of my body. It felt like my whole body was beginning to wake up, piece by piece, inch by inch. First, I got the feeling back in my fingers and toes, then a prickling feeling flowed through my arms, up to my shoulders, and from my toes to my ankles, and then it stopped... oh my god that hurt!

I never tried killing myself maybe the first week after the accident but no. I condemn suicide. This wasn't a suicide. It was an accident. Just because I wanted to die, doesn't make it a suicide...

For months I had been wishing to have just died in that burning house, and here I was. accidentally hit by a car. But not just any car. It was the shiny, Blue Porsche. And it didn't take me to be Albert Einstein to figure out who had been behind the wheel. That guy, Ghaith.

I wondered if he had been a conscious act , or if it had truly been an accident.

What did I even know about him anyway?