XII

Tell me how I managed to end up here? In the forest standing in front of a fuming Liam. The cold crisp air nipping at my skin. My boots covered in mud as the sky sprinkles water down at us. "After this, you'll have to stay away from her!" He shouts at me. That's right. It's because of her. I'm always like this when it comes to Hazel. I'll try to protect her honor and smile at any cost. The odds of him winning are high since he is not only taller than me but more muscular.

"Don't do this!" I hear her voice shout out. Turning my head slightly, I see Tyler holding back Hazel. Her eyes look at him and me.  They linger longer on me, but I won't read too into it. "I'm begging you!" She says, staring straight at me.

"Shut up!" Liam growls at her. She ignores him as she tries to get out of Tyler's grip. His eyes glow in a golden hue showing he is using his tiger's strength to keep her in place. "Are you ready?" He asks me.

"Let's get it over with," I say as we get into position. His eyes change to a golden brown, while mine is pure gold. Hamlet focuses on transferring his abilities to me. Once Stella reaches one, we charge towards each other. My eyes catch his every move. Nothing goes unnoticed. Gathering strength, I punch him in the face. He snarls as he lands multiple punches on me. One even landing on my jaw, causing me to hear a crack.

Ignoring it, I punch him in the ribs and knee him in the chest. He stumbles but quickly comes back to kick me in the chest, causing me to fall. Liam lands punch left and right on me, making me taste my blood. Looking over, I see Hazel shouting as tears stream her face.

He caused her all this suffering, and he has to pay for it. Seeing red, I punch him hard in the nose. Liam stumbles off of me, allowing me to get up slowly. I'll make him feel what he made her feel. After a series of punching and gut anger, I manage to beat him senseless. I would have continued if he didn't pull out a knife and hold it close to my throat. "To get what you want, you'll have to play dirty." He tells me.

"You know I'm unarmed," I say as I lean away.

"I know because you play by the rules." He says as he smiles that arrogant smirk. Liam pushes the blade forward as I fall on my butt.

"Liam!" Hazel shouts as she grabs his arm. Taking the knife, she points it back at him.

"You wouldn't dare." He threatens her.

"Try me!" She shouts. I look up at her as she glares at him. I guess all the adrenaline has left my body since my whole face aches. I call out her name before blacking out. All I could hear is her voice shouting my name.

———————————————————————————

"Hades?" A soothing voice calls out for me. Squeezing something warm, I feel my eyes flutter open. The bright lights cause me to groan and close my eyes. "Shut the blinds a bit." She orders someone. "You can open your eyes now," She tells me. Opening them once more, I see we are in a dim room. Hazel gently helps me sit up. I groan in pain as my ribs ache.

The dressers and bed frame indicates to me that this is my apartment. The warm thing I'm holding is her hand as I look down at it. "What happened?" I ask her.

"Liam beat you senseless before you did the same for him," Tyler explains.

"Why did you do that?" She asks me. I glance over at her and look back at Tyler, who leans on my bed frame.

"I don't know," I lie to her.

"Yes, you do," She says, already catching my lie. "Just answer me, Hades!"

"He deserved each and every punch I gave him," I say as I snap my head to look at her. "I have wanted to hurt him as he hurts you."

"I didn't ask you to do that." She says as she touches my cheek. I wince at the slight pressure. "He could have killed you,"