“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it Kiddo. The most important thing is that you’re okay.” Reid said, ruffling her hair.

She nodded, and then Neil picked her up, bridals style this time, and I glared at him.

“Be careful with her this time.” I snapped.

He shrank back looking guilty. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to. I won’t do it again” He told me.

“Don’t apologize to me. Apologize to her.” I said, still kind of angry. All I could see was Alex falling and getting hurt, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

“I’m so sorry Alex. I didn’t mean for you to get hurt, I was just trying to have fun..” He started, but Alex cut him off.

“Calm down Neil. I’ve had worse. It wasn’t your fault, and I’ll forgive you under one condition.” She said.

“What?!” Neil asked.

“That we can have a Lord of the Rings marathon before and after the show.” Alex said in a serious tone.

Neil mockingly made it sound like he was thinking about it, and then he said “Well Miss Alex, you drive a hard bargain, but I think we have a deal.”

“Pleasure doing business with you Mr.Neil.” ALex said in the same tone, and I just shook my head and Reid laughed.

Once we got onto the bus Dad rushed toward us, seeing the blood running down Alex’s face, and Neil’s slight limp.

“What happened?!” He asked.

“They were goofing around and Neil feel and dropped Alex.” Reid said, earning a glare from Neil.

“Neil Clark Perry! You’re supposed to be careful with you sister! And on the day of a show no less!” Dad burst out, his voice stern.

“I’m sorry Dad.” Neil said, his eyes downcase as he gently set Alex down on the couch where Dad indicated.

“Oh I’m sure you didn’t mean it. Just don’t do it again.” He said, clapping Neil on the shoulder.

Neil nodded, and Dad rolled up her pant leg to examine the damage, and I let out a sharp gasp. There were scars all over her legs, but Dad didn’t seem to notice them. As if they didn’t exist.

Reid, Neil and I exchanged looks, and I knew we had to ask Alex about this later. After a while Dad concluded that Alex had strained a muscle in her leg, and she had to wear a walking boot.

I was about to ask her about the scars, but we were quickly pulled backstage for the meet and greet. Alex seemed really out of it as we met fan after fan, and they were gushing over her as much as us, and it made me smile.

After the meet and greet I helped Alex fix her hair and without further ado I was handed my guitar, Neil was handed his mandolin, Reid was handed his bass, and lastly Kenny handed Alex a beautiful steel guitar, mussing her hair.

“Have fun kiddo.” He told her, making her smile and laugh.

The music started, and I grabbed her shaking hand and squeezed it.

“Are you ready baby girl?” I asked.

“Yeah.” She grinned. “I’ve been waiting for this my whole life! I never expected anything like this.” She laughed, gesturing to Reid, Neil and I.

I laughed and said “Well everything happens for a reason baby girl, now let’s go rock this!” I said, making her smile.

She grinned, and we all burst onto the stage, and I couldn’t help but smile as Alex played, she really was talented. She sang harmony with all of us, even singing a few verses with me as she played. It was amazing how well her voice fit with ours, like she was meant to sing with us, to find us.

I smiled at the thought as we all joined hands and took our last bow, and we waved to the crowd and moved forward to grab some people’s hands. I tried to hide my look of horror when I noticed the scars that were identical to the ones on her legs.

As we walked backstage I went through the routine with a blur, knowing I’d have to talk to Alex about it. But I had a feeling that i already knew what it was, how she always reacted when someone suddenly crept up on her, and she’d beg them not to hurt her.

I vowed then that I’d talk to Alex and that I’d protect her from now on. I wouldn’t let anything or anyone ever hurt her again.