25 - THE BATTLE OF NEW YORK

Start from the beginning

"I can't!" she protested "It's too crowded down there!"

They didn't have much say in it though, because the plane began to spin and drop out of the air as it passed over New York's skyscrapers. They barely managed to maneuver the wing that wasn't destroyed before crashing into the street. Clint's face slammed into the dashboard and Natasha cut the side of her head on the broken window, but overall, it was a miracle they made it out in one piece.

Steve ducked down behind an upside down bus, dodging the blast of a Chitauri. He looked up and threw his shield at the monster, knocking him unconscious.

The Captain was taking care of the Chitauri on foot but the ones in their flying chariots were the most vicious. They were firing randomly at everything and everyone, leaving a chain of explosions in their paths, tumbling cars and terrified people running for their lives.

He looked up, spotting a group of cops firing at the flying chariots. It was quite pointless; the bullets weren't doing anything.

The only ones who were really making a difference were the Avengers and there was only seven of them. Thor and Angrboda were taking out Chitauri by the handful. Natasha and Clint had skilfully directed the jet and killed a few hundreds of them in one go. Tony was targeting them in flight, preventing the monsters from spreading through the streets. Last but not least, the Hulk was doing what the Hulk did best... smashing.

All seven of them were trying their hardest, but it didn't change the fact that they were ridiculously outnumbered.

Steve raced over to them, scanning the area. It was mayhem. There was a roadblock of police cars across the width of the plaza. Behind them, a complex of office buildings was still full of civilians, judging by the faces plastered at the windows.

Without waiting another second, he hoped past the police cars and landed right in front of the line of fire. The police sergeant stared at him up and down, confused and disdainful at the same time.

"I need men in these buildings," he ordered pointing at the building complex behind them "There are people inside that can run into the crossfire. Take them through the basement or the subway. Just keep them off the streets."

The sergeant's eyes widened even more, a look of utter contempt on his face "Why the hell should I take orders from you?"

Steve cocked an eyebrow. He definitely wasn't used to being looked down on and having this petty sergeant do just that, at such a critical time, ticked him off like no tomorrow.

"Listen," he spat in a threatening voice he didn't even know he had "My team is out here killing themselves to protect the city and its people. Make yourself useful and evacuate the civilians."

Steve's eyes were shooting daggers and the sergeant swallowed with difficulty before asking hesitantly "Who-who's your team?"

"The Avengers," he snapped "Now do as I say before the casualties start piling up!"

The sergeant turned to his officer and began barking Steve's orders. The Captain watched him with a small smug grin but his satisfaction didn't last long. Before he knew it, a group of Chitauri were charging toward the plaza again. He turned around with a sigh, preparing to take them out one by one.

A few dozen miles away and some thirty thousand feet above the ground, Director Nick Fury was watching the live transmission from Manhattan, deeply agitated.

It took a while to wrap his head around the fact that the Avengers decided not to consult him before jumping headfirst into battle... but now was not the time for reprimanding. How could he think about his pride when the next few hours would decide of the fate of the Earth?