Chapter 7

I landed, hard. My face got scraped and the skin on my hands disappeared, replaced by small circles of blood and gravel, although that saved me from worse damage. But it hurt, it really hurt 

"Get out of the way!"

I rolled but felt a body land on my legs. The body stood up and reached down, grabbed my shoulders and shook me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" It screamed.

My head hurt. My hands hurt. And now my legs hurt. But the guy who had me by my shoulders must have noticed my scrapes because there was an increase in the pain in my face.

"Gravel in cuts is bad," he says. I open my eyes and see that it is Zeke.

"You're telling me," I grunt.

"Can you stand?"

"'Course," I say, although I'm not sure I was telling the truth. He lets go and my legs hold, barley.

"Zeke!" And then he was gone.

I trudged after the group and wrapped my hands in my shirt. They still stung, but it felt better than the wind. Suddenly I bumped into someone. It was the girl who had barley made the 10 minutes. I looked up and saw that we had stopped near the old ferris wheel. I shuddered, the wheel went up, and up, it got pretty tall. I imagined myself falling... Stop. Focus.

The group was talking about where to put the flag and what our plan of attack was. It looked like Zeke was in charge and all the transfers were not being treated fairly so I just headed over to where Amar was standing, away from the group, but close enough to hear what they were saying.

"What happened, Eaton?" he didn't even look at me.

"I freaked and-"

"No, I mean why aren't you over there tellin' them 'bout your crazy whacko shooting skills? We're going to win, Eaton, and I can't have my best shooter standin' on the side lines." 

I wasn't sure if I should be happy that he complimented my 'crazy wacko' shooting skills, or if I should be mad because he ignored my pain, which may make me a worse shooter. But I guess that's the Dauntless way... Duty before Pain. 

So I nodded and went back over to the group of initiates. They were picking who was staying and who was going. They had chosen most of the transfers to stay and almost all the Dauntless born were going. One Dauntless born who was staying saw me come over and started whining.

"Ah, Zeke, put the stiff here! Let me go with you guys, I wanna get the flag!" He said. I was just about to argue with him when Amar came up behind me.

"That's probably not a good idea, Zeke." Amar said."You'd be throwin' all hope to the other team."

"Yeah right. He ain't got enough sight left in 'im. You've seen his face?"

"Hell yeah, and he's better than all you, with no sight left! He could beat me in a shoot out." Amar says and it's deathly quiet. 

"I'm not that-" I argue.

"Stop being a stiff and take a flippin' compliment, Eaton." Amar says and punches my arm. Zeke eyes me then nods.

"Fine," he says, looking at me straight in the eyes, "Jacob you're stayin'. Tobias is coming with us." Then he turns and runs off.

 I wince at the name and run after him, along with the rest of the people going to find the flag. I sure hope I can live up to the standards that Amar set for me.

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—

We were crouched behind a box in the old abandoned shipyard. Zeke had come up with a plan that would put the talents that Amar had spoken of to the test.