Try to stay on your feet, Bambi

Start from the beginning

Once I get back into the living room both Tyler and I say goodbye to Grace before leaving. I spot a pair of skates in the back seat. They're definitely not Tyler's, they're too small. Tyler notices that I've spotted them. "Looks like the surprise is ruined. Oops."

I put my bag down next to the skates. "That explains why you asked me for my shoe size."

He smiles. "Sorry if you thought if you were getting shoes."

"I wasn't sure what to expect."

"I would have brought you to Top Golf but we know how that would have gone."

"Ha, ha, so funny."

"I'm really looking forward to what I have planned. I think you're going to like it."

"If it's spending time with you then of course I'm going to like it."

He smiles. "Awesome."

We sing along to the radio the whole ride there. I dance terribly in my seat, which makes him laugh. I have no rhythm whatsoever. I cannot dance but I always have fun being silly and he seems to love it. We pull up to a building that has the Stars logo on it and I'm excited. "This is where we practice," he explains as he pulls into a parking garage. A gate rises and he pulls under and parks. "There shouldn't be anyone here but front office staff. I made sure of it."

"Ok good, so I'll only bust my ass in front of you and not a lot of people."

"I'm going to try to not let you bust your ass. Skating isn't that hard anyway."

"Says the guy who's been skating since he was 3."

"You'll be fine. Don't worry."

Tyler grabs my skates from the back seat and we get out of the car. I follow him through a door that leads us into a hallway that has pictures all over the walls. There are photos and murals of past and present Stars. There are a few of Tyler. It makes me proud to know him. As we walk down the hallway he tells how his mornings start out here for practice and explains what each room is for.

"I'm going to bring you into the dressing room then we can go out to the ice." He opens the door and lets me go in ahead of him. "They just redid it for this season, they did an amazing job. It feels more like our actual dressing room at the AAC than a practice facility dressing room."

I look around the room at the different lockers with equipment in the stalls, ready for tomorrow's practice. "It's nicer than I thought it would be."

"They take good care of us." He walks over to his stall. "Here's mine. Go ahead, sit."

I sit down and he puts my skates on the bench next to me. He smiles. "You look good there." He takes his helmet off of the shelf and places it on my head. It's big on me, almost covering my eyes. "Perfect. I'm taking a picture."

I lift the helmet up so it rests on my forehead and I can see. "You are?"

"Put it back on." I just look at him. "Please?" I sigh and put the helmet back on the way he had it. I can hear him giggling. "My newest teammate trying to steal my spot."

"Are you filming me?" I ask as I lift the helmet up once more.

"Say hi." I timidly wave. He fiddles around on his phone then puts it in his pocket. "It's only Snapchat. Don't worry. It's private." I hand him the helmet and he puts it back where it was. He sits down next to me and takes his phone out. "I'll text this to you. I couldn't resist, though, you looked really cute." He shows me the picture before sending it to me.

"It's even bigger on me than I thought."

"Are you saying I have a big head?"

"Not at all."