Valentine's Notes

Valentine's Notes

The cafeteria was crowded, as usual, and you squeezed your way past famished students deciding what to eat, gossiping girls and people carefully holding bowls of hot soups, trying to make their way to a table. You finally found your friends Gayun and Kyojin, who were frantically waving from a distance to get your attention. Once you had set your heavy stack of books down on the table and sat down with a sigh of relief, Kyojin slid a card in front of you. It was pink and heart-shaped, decorated with adorable stickers.

"Look at this! Youngbae gave it to me, he's such a sweetheart!" Kyojin exclaimed excitedly. She was absolutely obsessed with that boy from the "bad boy" group of the school, and they've been dating for three months after she mustered the courage to ask him out. "_____, have you received anything?"

"Please, no one even likes me." You rolled your eyes.

"Come on, it's Valentines Day," Gayun insisted, "and stop talking crap, you know Kwon Jiyong likes you. And if for so many years he hasn't been hiding it, I don't see why you should be too. Ask Kyojin, Youngbae told her that Jiyong simply melts and loses his image at the sight of you, and you should have seen him during assembly yester-"

"He's just a friend! Speak of the devil..." You interrupted, and looking past Gayun, you spotted Jiyong and Youngbae striding through the doors of the cafeteria. Youngbae spotted you immediately and came over, bringing Jiyong along with him. You looked down, but Jiyong already spotted your gaze. He was already turning red, and pressed the back of his hand against his cheek to cool himself down like he always did. He was smirking too. You had to admit, he was cute.

"Youngbae, Jiyong, detention already?" You asked, spotting the red sticker on the boys' collars, which all detention students had to wear until it was over. They explained that all they did was eat and use their cellphone in class, but they had to rush off to clean the gymnasium for the entire lunch break after grabbing a quick bite. You nodded, and after Kyojin exchanged a quick kiss with Youngbae, lunch passed by pretty quickly and you had to return to class.

Upon reaching your desk, you found a red envelope on the desk. Your name was written in bold letters at the top, along with the words "READ THIS WHEN YOU'RE HAPPY", and in small print, "Love, G" at the bottom of the envelope.

"Aish, you're really cheesy Ji." You muttered to yourself and quickly tucked it into your folder, as your teacher walked into class.

---

After class, you walked to your locker, and to your surprise, another envelope dropped out, this time a purple coloured one. Picking it up, you realised that the capitalised letters now read "READ THIS WHEN YOU'RE SAD". You were truly quite confused, when you felt a tap on your shoulder. Turning around, it was Gayun. She handed you yet another envelope, this time orange, reading "READ THIS WHEN YOU'RE ANGRY". You were about to look up and ask Gayun what it was about, but she had already vanished. You took what you needed from the locker and went to the next class, figuring that you'll probably find out what's going on after school.

However, the envelope encounters didn't stop at the lockers. Between every class, if the envelope wasn't on your table or in the locker, a random student would pass it to you in the hallways without a word, running off before you had the chance for questions. In total you had seven, collecting four after Gayun had passed you the orange one. The emotions were replaced with lonely, overjoyed, scared and excited, colours replaced by blue, green, yellow and indigo, and on the last one, there was an extra note: Meet me at the music room, after school, ASAP.

It was signed off with "Love, G" once again, and thoughts ran through your head, specifically confused thoughts, as you made your way to the music room. Was this some kind of prank? Why did Kyojin and Gayun keep avoiding you after lunch? You reached the door labelled "Music Room", cautiously opening the door and stepping into the dark room full of musical instruments. Out of the blue, the lights turned on, and Kyojin was sitting on a chair, holding her guiatar, grinning at you. Gayun, Youngbae and the rest of their group (Daesung, Seunghyun and Seungri) we're sitting at the side of the room, like they were some kind of audience. They all smiled slightly at you, and as if there was a signal, Kyojin began playing Jiyong's self-written song, "Butterfly" on the guitar. Jiyong appeared from behind the piano, and started singing the lyrics from the song. He looked you in the eyes while singing every word, focusing solely on you.

The song ended and everyone clapped and cheered, even wolf-whistling at some points. When the applause finally died down, Jiyong stepped in front of you, his face inches away from your's. That cheeky expression was secretly killing you inside. He stepped back and knelt down, presenting you with a baby pink rose and the final envelope, a rainbow coloured one. This time it wasn't an emotion, but instead, "READ THIS... WHEN YOU'RE READY TO BE MINE, PLEASE?"

"Open it." You opened it, and pulled out a folded piece of paper, and a small piece of chocolate. "Read it." You opened the piece of paper and read it out loud.

"Dear _____, I know you're supposed to read this when you're ready to be mine. But I've honestly liked you since middle school, and I really, truthfully can't keep up my image with you around. Who wants to be the bad boy when you have such a goodie girlfriend right? Just kidding. We've been friends for 4 years, and since then I've never hidden the fact that I really, really like you. Those envelopes, they're in rainbow colours, because every time I see you, there are butterflies in my stomach, and my emotions get so mixed up, it's like a rainbow. You are like a beautiful rainbow in my eyes. That's why I want you to know that I'm always there for you whatever you're feeling, each envelope having a small note telling you how you'll be fine, how I'm happy for you too, and a poem on how I deal with those emotions. So, you ready to be mine? Pretty please? And Happy Valentine's Day. Love, (your boyfriend?) G."

You never thought you'd be this close to tears. How did a boy with such a bad boy image be so sweet and adorable? You nodded and laughed out loud, as he embraced you. The small "audience" was clapping again, Gayun even saying that we were too cute to handle.

"Guys... Don't mean to be a party pooper here, but I can see Miss Kim coming, and we're not supposed to use the music room after school." Kyojin said, peering out the small window by the door. Jiyong pushed you behind the piano, falling on top of you, as the others leapt into the various cupboards in the room.

"I don't think we should hide. We need to get out-" Before you could finish, Jiyong placed a finger on top of your lips, shaking his head.

"Nah, I like it like this." Jiyong whispered, and you knew he was on top of you just to tease you. "Anyway, get spotted or make a sound, and you'll be in for detention. You won't like it, trust me. I'm a regular." Just as he finished talking, Miss Kim opened the door, and Kyojin explained that she was just practising a song Jiyong had written, and had forgotten to tell her, since the room wasn't occupied. Miss Kim seemed suspicious, but she regarded it as a good enough reason, and asked Kyojin to play it for her.

"Such a talented boy in music, but so mischievous." Miss Kim sighed, as she tapped her foot to "Butterfly" while Kyojin played. Jiyong was looking at you, swaying slightly, kissing you on the lips before you knew it. You could feel that this handsome boy had made you his, and was going to be able to make this relationship blossom. A relationship beautiful like the rose he gave you, with a boy capable of filling your life with more colours in time to come.