do it yourself lilac/lavender hair

If you have light blonde hair you will need:
♡ Mixing bowl (a clear bowl is best)
♡ Hair colour brush/applicator
♡ Gloves
♡ Cheap conditioner (white in colour)
♡ Coloured dye of your preference

If you have darker hair, you will need:
♡ 30 volume developer
♡ Hair bleach powder
♡ Toner
♡ Mixing bowl (again, a clear bowl is best)
♡ Hair colour brush/applicator
♡ Gloves
♡ Cheap conditioner (white in colour)
♡ coloured dye of your preference

If you are dyeing your hair light purple or lavender, you have to use a purple shampoo to maintain the colour. You could also put a bit of the coloured dye in your regular conditioner.

A few tips:
♡ Mixed pastel dye works best on light hair

♡ Wash hair in cool water to maintain colour

♡ Put a bit of coloured dye into your regular conditioner for upkeep

♡ Use dry shampoo instead of washing super often if you want your colour to last longer

♡ If the colour you achieved is darker than you wanted, you can always wash it a few times until you reach desired level of colour

♡ If you want colour to last longer, dye it a bit darker than you intended (if you’re okay with a darker pastel) so it will take longer to wash out

♡ It helps to know the general rules of colour and the colour wheel to help achieve the colour you want (ex. purple gets rid of yellow)

♡ Pester your mom, sister, brother, best friend, or anyone else who might be able to help with the application since it’s a lot harder to do by yourself.

―――― ✩ ――――

♡ ; Step one - Gather all the materials
Make sure you have a white conditioner, a mixing bowl, gloves, an applicator, and hair dye of choice. And if you’re lucky, make sure you have a helping hand to apply dye to the hard-to-see places.

♡ ; Step two: Pour conditioner into bowl
You can eyeball how much you have in the bowl, you should have a genourous amount, just in case you don't have enough. You be the judge! Make sure you take your hair length into consideration.

♡ ; Step three - Colour it up!
Now this is where it gets fun. Slowly add the colour into the conditioner and mix. You do not have to use a lot of dye since you are hoping to achieve a pastel. For the most part, the colour you make in the bowl is the colour that you will come out on your hair. However, if you want it to last longer, mix the dye a slight shade darker. You can always do a test strip on your hair to test out if the colour lasts and if it’s the desired level of colour.

♡ ; Step four - Apply colour
It’s a good idea to have someone else apply the colour because they will be able to spot places at the back of your head that you may miss. Make sure you start at your roots (if you are applying an all over colour) and then apply to the length of your hair. Work the colour in using your fingers but try not to remove the dye from your hair while doing this. If you want to, use your hands. It’s way easier to work the colour into your hair using your fingers, just make sure you’re wearing gloves.

♡ ; Step five - Wash out your hair
You could always take a strand of hair and wash the dye off of it to see if it’s the colour you want. If it is, then get to washing, but if it’s too light then leave it on longer. You don’t have to use shampoo or conditioner to wash it, just wash the mix out using cool water. Your hair will feel super soft from all the conditioner, an added bonus.

♡ ; Step six - Let your hair dry
Remember, wet hair always looks darker than it actually is. You could either let it air dry, or if you’re too impatient you could use a blow dryer to see your results. If you feel like your hair is looking a little uneven, you can always reapply the dye right away to stubborn areas.

♡ ; Step seven - Work it!
If all is well then go out and rock your new hair! You’re sure to get loads of nice compliments and some really weird ones like “You look like an anime character/my little pony!"

♡ ; Step eight - Keeping your look
Whenever you wash your hair make sure you use cool water, and put some of the dye (or any leftover mix) into your conditioner to help with upkeep. You can also use a dry shampoo if you’re really scared of washing the colour away.

I hope you liked this tip! If any of you are wondering, I used Manic Panic to dye my hair. I really love their colours and they last a while.

Credit for this tip in general goes to feminspire.com

Stay diamond. x

-jessica