Chapter 39

Boone relished the item he held in his hands, smiling widely and muttering to himself as he poured over the map that Evangeline had given up to him. She couldn't look at him, his joy brought shame over her as she knew she had just betrayed her captain. Jack would be safe now, yes, but what she had just done seemed unforgivable, and she knew she could never ask Jack to pardon her for her disloyalty. And what of the crew? What of her friends? Surely, they would hate her as well. A feeling washed over her, a feeling that perhaps she was about to explode, and breathing became increasingly difficult.

"You have made me a very happy man," Boone said, rolling the map up and placing it inside his jacket.

"I would be much obliged if you would allow me to leave now," she replied, still refusing to look at him, her hand at her chest as she tried to take in a breath.

"Of course, go tend to Jack; I'm sure his wounds warrant looking after."

Evangeline made to move towards the door but stopped when a loud knock came and it stopped her in her tracks.

"Enter," Boone's voice boomed, and the person on the other side did.

"Sir, I've come to inform you that the compass has been located," the man said, wringing his hands together in a nervous manner.

"Where is it?"

"One of the men from the other ship flagged us down, told us that he found it on the lady captain's person. She put up quite a fight, she managed to get a hold of weapon and she stabbed Corcoran but-" The man stopped and reached into his pocket and pulled out Jack's compass. "I have it in my possession."

"Let me have it," Boone growled, yanking it from the man's hands hungrily, his blue eyes flashing in victory.

Evangeline watched as Boone flicked open the compass, and watched the arrow spin wildly before resting to a fixed position, pointing to the right of the man. She wished dearly that Elizabeth had not parted with it, but she knew the woman had fought to keep it. It was clever of Jack to have the items separated, but cleverness wasn't enough to keep the maniac that was Boone away from what he wanted. Now, it was inevitable; Boone would have Annie. Geline felt her stomach cramp up at the thought of it, knowing that because of her actions; all that Jack had struggled for had been in vain.

"Take this girl back to the brig. I should like to be alone now," Boone muttered, his eyes fixed on the compass, his wound still seeping blood.

The walk back to the brig seemed long and sluggish; the man had a tight grip around Evangeline's arm, guiding her down the steps to where the men of The Pearl waited behind bars. The feeling of shame would not leave her, she feared to face Jack and tell him what she had done in order to save his life. The prison below decks was dark and cold, and one could tell the mood of the place, but a few rays of light succeeded to shine through the portholes, and men reached out to have their hands bathed in the golden outpour. Passing the first few cells, she saw her friends leaning against the bars and peering at her lazily. Then to her right, she saw Jack splayed out on the ground of his chamber, eyes closed and breathing steadily, his face covered in dried blood. Her heart ached as she reached out, and shook the bars, eager to enter. Boone's man quickly unlocked the cell, and Evangeline rushed in, kneeling at his side and ready to do anything to help him. The door to the cell was shut rather loudly and she heard the key turn and click, locking her in with Jack.

"What happened to him?" she heard Gibbs asked from the cell across from hers.

"Boone. He beat him senseless," she replied, stroking Jack's cheek.

"Jack just let that lunatic have a go at him?"

"There wasn't much he could do. His hands were bound, and he was held back."