Chapter 8

Evangeline returned to her room, a faint smile present on her lips. She thought it rare to find such a kind man as the doctor. Upon entering her room, she saw Jack erect on her bed, pure dread plastered on his face.

"He saw my mark," he said. "He knows."

Evangeline sat at the edge of the bed and nodded her head.

"He did see, but he assured me that he wouldn't speak a word of it to anyone," she said

Jack looked at her for a moment, confusion replacing the previous expression.

"He could have lied. I am nearly certain he did."

"I don't think so."

Jack slowly laid back down and shook his head.

"Are you alright, Captain?" she asked, sensing something was wrong, other than his pain.

"This bloody hurts like shit, I've no bloody idea who did this to me, how I got here, or where my ship and crew are. I cannot remember a cursed thing, and me compass is not helping either," Jack answered, "and how the hell did I end up here? What are the chances that I would run into you, of all people? It's perplexin', it is."

After his rant, he clutched his stomach, knowing he had gone too far. Evangeline had thought about this, also. It was quite odd that he should show up at her door, after having moved from London. It was peculiar.

"Anyway, luv, thank ya, for calling the medicine man," he said, waving his hand around above his head as he spoke.

"You're welcome, Captain."

"That's another thing luv, ye need to stop calling me just Captain. I most certainly am not your captain, and I've commandeered your bed for the past however bloody long. I believe that is grounds for callin' me Jack," he declared weakly, looking at her.

She looked away, embarrassed, and nodded. He had called her love.

He let out a sigh, clutched his stomach for a second until the pain passed, closed his eyes, and yawned.

"I reckon you'll be wanting your bed back soon, sleeping in that chair can't be paradise."

"Oh, no, it's fine! Really."

"We could share it," he said, a little smirk playing in the corner of his mouth as he patted the bed.

She stood up, a fierce blush spreading across her face, as she fumbled with her words.

"Um, no thank you."

Jack gave a small chuckle.

"I'm only jokin' luv. Don't get your frilly knickers in a bunch. Could ya do me a favor and hand me that bottle?"

He had an uncanny talent for making her feel bashfully uncomfortable. She handed him the rum and watched as he consumed the rest of the amber liquid, closing his eyes as it settled in his belly. She heard him yawn again as she sat down in her chair, a faint light appearing on the horizon, turning the room a burnt orange with the day's first traces of morning. He looked over at her and gave her a lazy wink, then closed his eyes to sleep. She smiled and rested her head against the back of the chair, and fell asleep once again.
_________________________________________

Evangeline gazed at her exhausted face in the mirror. She could make out the dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep and she ran her fingers through her hair before changing into a light green silk dress. It was simple and cinched at the waist, the sleeves were long and modest; buttoned at the wrist, but the neckline swooped down low so that her clavicles and the peach skin underneath were shown. She could hear her father pacing back and forth in the next room, his boots loud and heavy against the wooden floor. She stopped in front of his study and rested her ear upon the door. It was quiet now, and so she knocked softly and heard the mumble to enter. Her father was seated, facing away from her and looking out the small window.

"Good morning, Geline," he said.

"Good morning Father, how are you?"

"Well enough I'd wager," he replied.

Evangeline shut the door behind her and fully entered the room, feeling a chill that buried itself under her skin.

"Father, it's freezing in here! You'll catch your death!" she exclaimed, rushing to the fireplace to start a fire.

"It is? I hadn't noticed."

Her father continued to look out the window, his gaze hazy and far off as if he was remembering something. Naturally, he had a bottle in his hand and every so often he would lift it to his lips and soak in the poison; hoping it would alter something in him, cause a shift of comfort and familiarity.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door and Evangeline remembered that she had asked the doctor to come back and check on her father. She looked to him, how would he react? Would he be angry with her? He didn't seem to notice the knocking on the door, so she left him where he sat.

She opened the door and saw the doctor exactly as he had looked the night before, except there was a young boy, no older than fifteen, by his side. The doctor smiled at her, and she let him and the young boy enter.

"Miss McKenna," he said with a slight bow of his head and a smile.

"Thank you for coming."

"No thanks are in order. This is Joshua, my assistant and apprentice," he said gesturing to the boy by his side.

She held out her hand and he took it, shaking it lightly.

"Good morning, miss."

"Now, your father. Is he awake?" Doctor Frazier asked, handing his medical bag to Joshua.

"Yes, but I'm afraid you will not find him completely aware of his surroundings. Today is the first day he has been awake since...God knows when," she said, whispering the last bit to keep it to herself.

"Hmm, and Mr. Thomas? How has he faired?"

Evangeline gave him a slight smile, it was if he was altogether denying the fact of Jack's real status and name, and she felt grateful for that.

"Well, I'm not sure quite yet, he is still asleep, he has been since you left early this morning."

"Good, he needs his rest. Now, Miss McKenna, where is your father?"

Evangeline lead Doctor Frazier down the hall to her father's study where she lightly knocked on the door. He bid her enter and the doctor, Joshua, and Evangeline stepped into the now cozy, warm room.

"Father," she started. "I know you have been feeling ill lately, so I've asked Doctor Frazier to our house to see you."

Henry McKenna turned in his chair, slowly stood up and made his way to Doctor Nathaniel Frazier.

"Ahh, yes. Doctor Frazier, how are you?" He asked, taking his hand and giving him a nice, firm shake.

"I believe I should be asking you the same thing, Mr. McKenna. I am well, thank you. This is my assistant, Joshua."

Henry shook Joshua's hand as well, a rough smile on his face. Evangeline felt a slight touch of anger spread through her veins. She knew what he was doing, he was going to act as if everything was alright; act as though he were fine and didn't need any help at all. She had seen it before. He would have days like this, where he could function, fend for himself; he would carelessly walk around just to prove to her that everything was fine, talk as if there were no problems. But there were problems. His problems. He was the problem.

"Your daughter has informed me that you have been ill for quite some time, sir."

"Yes, well Evangeline just gets so very worked up over some things. I have been feeling under the weather, but I am doing fine, I assure you."

Evangeline and the doctor looked at each other for a moment.

"Miss, I have Joshua with me today, so I won't need your assistance. Perhaps you should check on Mr. Thomas," He suggested, a look of pity set deep in his eyes and around the corners of his mouth.

"Yes, I should."