"Don't knock it till you've tried it, that's what they say." With that Mitch went off to join Scott.

Kevin came up to Avi just in time to see him roll his eyes at Mitch's back.

"Is he yanking your chain again? He knows how to wind you up, for sure."

Avi shrugged and pulled out his phone.

"It's fine, just he's got his flirt on again. He's going to help me with that one song I showed you, it needs some work, but his voice will be perfect for it."

Kevin slapped an arm round his friend's shoulder. "You sure you can handle it? Or do you need protection?"

"For God's sake Kev, you too?" Avi shook his head as Kevin chuckled next to him. "When the song's done and it's exquisite, I'll have the last laugh."

Two days later Avi opened the door to Mitch, who waved a toothbrush at him.

"What the hell's that?"

"Oh, don't act so surprised." Mitch walked into the living room. "It was you who told me to bring it."

"What, I said that? I don't remember. Anyway, let's get started."

Avi sat on the couch and picked up his guitar. Mitch dropped his bag and toothbrush on the table and listened to his friend sing the melody.

"I can do something with that, play it again."

They tried out different ideas, and several coffee mugs and water bottles lined the table by the time they decided to take a break.

"I love this. Why did we never do this before?" Mitch fixed his hair and looked over at Avi as he brought fresh coffee.

"Just never came up, but I'm really happy with how this song is turning out. I may even tweet about it, it's that good."

"So - do you think I sound right for this?"

"You sound perfect, like always. You know you do."

"Well, yeah but I really wanted to hear you say it. Everybody needs a little stroking now and then." Mitch smiled sweetly at Avi, who was choking on his coffee.

"What you say?" he spluttered.

"God, Avi, I'm joking. I mean we all like to get compliments don't we? Stroke our fragile egos. Would you like me to pat you on the back?"

He watched Avi cough and shake his head.

"Well, I'll just take this with me, back in a minute." He picked up the toothbrush and went off to the bathroom. When he returned Avi had cleared the mugs away, and they went through the song again until they were both happy with it.

Mitch clapped his hands. "Sounds great already, and when we add the other parts it'll be totally fabulous."

"Yeah, can't wait to show the others. It's even better than I imagined."

"Yes, I am." Mitch fluttered his eyelashes at Avi, who sighed.

"Okay, let's wrap it up for now. I need food real bad."

Mitch picked his phone up and started typing. "You're right, it's time to eat again. Have you got any plans?"

"I never seem to get round to that boxset that I promised myself, so maybe this is the night. You?"

"Oh, not sure yet. Everybody is making plans with their bae, y'know." He stopped there and continued scrolling, but Avi said nothing more. When Mitch looked up he found Avi watching him from his seat on the couch. He continued with a small smile.